[3830] ARRLDX CW W4LT SOSB/20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4lt@ij.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4LT SOSB/20 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:51:33 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SOSB/20 QRP
QTH: Tampa, FL
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  10     7
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  10     7  Total Score = 70

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Spent Saturday morning at N4GI from 8am to 3pm.  Brother and Sister in Law plus
two nephews coming from Seattle to visit us on Sunday.  Chores around the house
precluded any participation from home per XYL on Friday or Saturday night/Sunday
morning, so had to help clean the house, get the place ready for company, get
groceries, etc.

Bad weather supposedly coming to town, so disconnected all gear here at home
and lowered the tower to wind survival height (20feet).

Due to WX front, Brother and Sister in Law's plane was an hour late!  I had a
half hour to play!  All my "real" gear was disconnected, 40 meter antenna down,
tribander at 20 feet... But my Elecraft K1 was still plugged in and available!

Why not!  Fired up the K1 and at 5 Watts, was able to work several RT/RZ's, one
YO and several Germans with the tribander at 20 feet! Even called lonely cq'ing
pal K9RE for fun (zero points, but he sounded so lonely, I couldnt resist!)

Was completely amazed at the composure of the K1 receiver in major constest
QRM! I had never used it in crowded conditions... This little rig is simply
amazing!  I may enter some contests QRP with it, its really fun to use!
Plugged in N1MM via a MicroHam MicroKeyer into the key socket, and the logger
keyed the rig, no computer/radio comm.  Just like the old days!

Rig: Elecraft K1 @ 5W.
Antenna: CushCraft A3S @ 21 feet.

-lu-W4LT-