[3830] ARRLDX CW VP5OU M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP5OU M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:51:57 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5OU
Operator(s): N7OU, W7YAQ, K7AR, NE7D
Station: VP5OU

Class: M/S LP
QTH: VP5JM QTH
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  286    48
   80:  742    57
   40: 1178    59
   20: 1259    59
   15: 1420    59
   10:  790    55
-------------------
Total: 5675   337  Total Score = 5,737,425

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

What is the matter with the 80 meter antenna?  The noise and signal levels are
really low, we thought, after the first night.  This was curious, we thought,
since we seemed to be getting out OK, making 340 Qs in 51 sections.  We were
just having problems hearing on our K3!  Big guns were barely moving the
S-meter.  Well, we thought, we will fix it before the 0600 shift on Sunday.  So
the four of us, all K3 owners, gathered together at the appointed time, and
discovered that the RX ANT was switched on, left over from Bob W7YAQ using 80 m
beverages at home.  Thus we were the ultimate alligator, making 340 Qs while
receiving on the RX antenna BNC.

Other than that senior moment, things went well here the wonderful QTH of Jody
VP5JM.  This was the first DXpedition for Rocky NE7D, and he came up the
learning curve at warp speed.  We operated the contest with each op taking
3-hour shifts.  Bill N7OU got us off to a great start, followed by Al K7AR,
then Bob, and Rock.  The second day we juggled the sequence so each op
experienced a different time slot.

The callers were non-stop and the antennas played well, although we still have
not quite identified where the 80 and 160 m antennas are just above the
bushes.

73 from the VP5OU team (N7OU, W7YAQ, K7AR, NE7D)