[3830] ARRLDX CW KU5B(@NX5M) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KU5B(@NX5M) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:11:58 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KU5B
Operator(s): KU5B
Station: NX5M

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

  160:
   80:  69     49
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  69     49  Total Score = 10,143

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Got to the station Saturday afternoon to find that the 160 elevated vertical got
hit by lightning in the storms on Friday night/Saturday morning. Took a couple
of hours to get it repaired and then found out that the RX IN port on one of
the FT-990's took an indirect hit. We never leave anything plugged in inside
the shack once we're done but just got unlucky as somehow the voltage jumped
from the tower to the beverage feedline all the way into the shack. Sunday
morning revealed that the 80m vertical had no radials connected. One of the
radials had been disintegrated by the lightning and severed the connection at
the feedpoint. It's a wonder that antenna looked so good in the shack.

After all that, hopefully nothing else was affected. Guess we'll find out soon
enough.

Colin KU5B