[3830] ARRLDX CW K6GEP SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K6GEP SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:30:04 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:   26    20
   40:   64    36
   20:  105    46
   15:  171    60
   10:  147    45
-------------------
Total:  513   207  Total Score = 318,373

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Did not start the contest until 0600z because of other commitments. I missed out
on much of the nice opening to EU on 40 the first night.  Nice quiet condix on
low bands the first night.

Over the past year, I have added an amp, and a rotor to my yagi. Huge
improvement.

Had my first ever run of DX stations in a contest - worked JA's for over an
hour on 15 Saturday night.  Really had fun with the auroral propagation on 10m
to Scandinavia around 0100z.  I need to learn more about that phenomenon.
Following that I had a run of Russians over the pole on 20m.

Low band propagation suffered with the K index at 5 the second night, and my
40m score shows it.

My N3FJP has the Windows stutter if I am connected to the internet, so I used
my netbook for spots.  I had 3 websites open in my browser - NC7J for an
all-band view, DX Summit band spots for the band I was working, and the local
N6NC skimmer in DX Watch.

I picked up a lot of mults on 20 in the last 2 hours.

For next year, I need to shut down earlier at night, and wake up earlier in the
morning.  I missed out on a lot of the EU mults on 20 and 15.

Rig:  FT-990
Software: N3FJP
Ants:   80 meter sloped dipole from 40 feet
        40 meter inverted vee with apex at 40 feet
        Wilson Triband Yagi up 25 feet