[3830] CQ WW RTTY JA1BPA SOSB(A)/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY JA1BPA SOSB(A)/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 18:06:30 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JA1BPA

Class: SOSB(A)/10 HP
QTH: CHIBA, JAPAN
Operating Time (hrs): 26

   80:
   40:
   20:    4
   15:    1
   10:  888  2568      49      82    32
Total:  888  2568      49      82    32  Total Score = 418,584

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a blast!

The propagation had been excellent on 10mb since a few days before the contest
began, so that I decided to be single band 10mb.  One major concern was a big
typhoon expected to hit Tokyo area late Sunday evening (local time), and it
certainly did!  (Unfortunately, the forecast was very precise.)  With typhoon
winds gusting up to 80mph, I had to miss the European opening on Sunday evening
(after 0800 UTC) and the most of the remaining contest.

Before the typhoon stopped me, the propagation was nothing like I had ever seen
for years.  There was a long opening toward both the East Coast of North America
and British/Irish isles, which are the most difficult areas to reach on 10mb
from the Far East.  JA RTTY band is between 28.070MHz and 28.150MHz, but during
peak hours of European opening, I could hardly find any frequency to call CQ.

Interestingly, I could even work a few Europe and North America at the same
time around midnight local time (1300~1500 UTC) via long path over the South
Pole.  Few stations seemed to be aware that such path existed, and they often
successfully printed "JA" and turned their antenna away toward the short path
and became inaudible :-p.

Without the typhoon, I could have made more than 1000 QSOs, but that is life.
This was the second typhoon that hit Tokyo this year.  The first one was in
June and broke all my antennas with 100mph+ wind.  It used to be that typhoon
paths were concentrated toward the Western Japan (JA3~6 area), but now they
seemed to have shifted toward the East, and typhoons are getting more powerful.
 Ham radio is not only affected by the space weather, but the weather in
general.

See you in CQWW SSB (probably using JM1LPN) and CW.

Best 73,

Icko