[3830] CQWW CW DJ1YFK(@DJ6ZM/DL1A) SOSB/40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DJ1YFK(@DJ6ZM/DL1A) SOSB/40 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 02:27:22 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: DJ1YFK
Operator(s): DJ1YFK
Station: DJ6ZM/DL1A

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: nr Munich
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:
   80:
   40: 1437    33      122
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1437    33      122  Total Score = 405,170

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP MKV, 3el @ 35m, 3el @ 25m

Thanks to Toffy, DJ6ZM for letting me play at his station once again.
With one of our main operators (DJ2QV) at OH0V this year, we decided
not to work the usual M/2 or M/S, instead we'd do some SOSB efforts.

I chose 40m LP Unassisted, and I knew it was going to be painful at
times. The first night was very slow, thanks to the CME hit we took,
but on the second afternoon AS/OC was coming in early and I was
surprised how well my dinky 100W worked. At night I was able to run
US at decent rates for a few hours up high in the band, at the same
time with LP the pressure to run all the time is much lower, allowing
for a lot of S&P time for mults.

I think my mult count is OK but not what it could have been. Quite a
few times I was very lucky to find some rare ones very high in the band
before the Skimmer pileups came. When I was too late, I typically put
the station into the bandmap and came back half an hour later, often to
work the station without any problem, sometimes to find it gone for good.
Skimmers have changed the game, but apparently they don't hear everything
yet: On Sunday evening I was running with my antenna to JA, when 5H3EE
started CQing exactly on my frequency, apparently not hearing me. I turned
the beam south, worked him easily, and left the frequency to him, waiting
for a huge pileup to cover him immediately. But nothing happened, after
a few minutes without a QSO he QSYed...

On Sunday evening I quit about two hours before the end of the contest,
the QSO rate had almost hit zero and I had a comfortable margin of 80k
points to the current DL record (of DL1LH).

Thanks for all the QSOs and see you in the next one!

Fabian DJ1YFK