[3830] CQWW CW K3PP SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3pp@k3pp.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3PP SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:12:56 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3PP
Operator(s): K3PP
Station: K3PP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:   37    11       25
   80:   72    13       46
   40:  162    28       87
   20:  221    36      106
   15:  301    33      118
   10:  302    31      118
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Although I'm a lousy CW op compared to the vast majority of you, this is still
my favorite contest! My job is killing me right now, so I didn't have the steam
for a stronger effort, but I wanted to get on and shoot for 2 meg toward the FRC
total. I made that goal literally with 7 seconds to spare! Whew! Of course, the
log checking will take me down, but this was my goal! This is 100% S&P. I
wanted to try a QRS "run" but the cluster spots kept coming in so I just chased
them for what was likely a higher rate than any feeble attempt at a run. This
crummy CW dude is pretty happy!

CONDX seemed poor on Saturday, but 10m picked up nicely on Sunday! Sigs from EU
were very loud! Low bands seemed OK too! I continue to be very pleased with the
performance of this station! I can only imagine what a really good op could do
from here. Some day we'll know - either I'll improve or a guest op or multi-op
here will prove it! I'm guessing the latter is more realistic! I'd love to do a
multi-op!

My 20m beam has been stuck pointed at JA for weeks. I think the TIC-Ring has a
bum pot in it, but I haven't had time to deal with that. I wasn't able to
battle in the pileups in most other headings, but I was pleasantly surprised by
my mult total there!

On 40m, I had issues with RF getting into the shack and locking my computer. I
had to crank down to 800 watts or so for most of my 40m QSOs. Here again, I'm
very happy with my totals using just a dipole about 40 feet in the air!

My 80m linear-loaded vertical with two elevated radials does pretty well up to
about 3530 and then I need to crank the power down. Anything above 3550 or so
was nearly impossible, so I stayed low. I need to work on my 80/75m antenna
situation over the coming summer if my job demands allow it.

On 10m, my not-so-secret weapon is two 4-el monobanders, one rotatable at 84
feet and one at 55 ft fixed on SA. I can point the upper one where needed and
when a SA mult or other QSO popped up, I was able to switch, log it, and get
back within seconds - no waiting for the rotator! That was a blast!

I continue to be amazed at how my Inv-L performs on 160m! It's such a simple
antenna, but it works! I have two elevated radials, only about 40 feet of
vertical wire, and no balun. It proves that an antenna need not be a
sophisticated contraption to get the job done! I can't wait to play in next
week's ARRL 160m contest and give it a go there!

My log has been submitted and all QSOs are uploaded to LoTW! Thank you
everyone!! CU in ARRL 160m next weekend and ARRL 10m after that!
VY 73 de Glenn K3PP