[3830] ARRL 160 NN3W Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richnn3w@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 NN3W Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 08:53:37 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: NN3W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

Total:  QSOs = 517  Sections = 68  Countries = 12  Total Score = 86,080

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to Rich NN3W for allowing me to ..... oh wait...  No one to thank this
time because I actually operated from home.  How about that!

Had no expectations for this event although I did a little prep work by putting
up a new Inverted L for the winter with the apex point up at about 80 feet.
Unrolled out about 8 radials over the course of the week; physically connected
one line to my neighbor's steel wire mesh fence; physically connected another
line to my other neighbor's chain link fence to serve as a radial.

Being low power, there is always an exercise in frustration in 160 meter
contests: stations that CQ in your face and are loud; "rare" DX that you come
across in the clear and start to copy you only to be immediately run over from
what I can clearly tell are the packet spots hoardes; calling CQ and having
runs for 2 or 3 minutes and then have the run promptly die.  Happens every
year, although this year I felt that my "guaranteed" coverage envelope extended
out much futher than in past years.

I couldn't work ANY DX (except for the Caribbean) until Saturday night when -
for about a 30 minute period - condx got really good and I landed G, OK, E7, F,
OM, GW, and a few others.  Heard stations in SM, ON, PA, OZ, and EA but couldn't
land them.

Worked all the continental US except for NV (which I heard from 3 stations).
Thanks to K7RAT for a 3 minute QSO attempt which worked out for my 47th state
for the event.

Overall I had fun, and look forward to 2013.