[3830] ARRLDX CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:35:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:  100    43
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  100    43  Total Score = 12,771

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Not much doing out west early on in the contest.  After an hour of fruitless
searching and CQing, I took a nap for an hour.

I started hunting again shortly after 0200 and was able to hear and work a hand
full of Carribean and Central American stations over the course of the next
hour.

At 0306 I found a weak SM6EDX and got him in the log.  This started a
'mini-run' and during the ensuing hour I added TM, G, S5, DL, YU, MD, EF, UX,
and EI as multipliers.

Then the weak path to EU slowly faded away during the 0400 hour as I was able
to add only 9A, CR2, & CR3 plus a few more Carib and CA mults to the total.

During the 0500 hour I added SV, PA, HG, OK, IR, OM, and OE.

As the terminator started to move across western EU during the 0600 hour a
handful of EU stations were added to the log, but only HB and LX as mults.  At
0630 I stopped S&P and started CQing feeling there were some stations that were
NOT CQing on the other end.  This was a good move as I had a dozen or more
stations call during the last half of the hour.

The 0700 hour is always an interesting one here as the morning terminator is
leaving coastal EU and the evening terminator is reaching the north Island of
ZL and the northernmost portion of JA.  This is where the two transceivers
selected on opposite direction Beverages is very useful.

My log entries for a two hour period were the following:  0723-GW3KDB,
0725-G3UJE, 0732-KH6LC, 0733-EI8H, 0747-ZL4AS, 0750-GI3OQR, 0800-WL7E,
0805-ZL3IO, and 0818-JA3YBK, which started a 'mini-run' of 11 JAs through the
next 45 minutes until RT0C checked in at 0910.

The most interesting Q in this time period was the one with ZL4AS, who gave me
a power exchange of 1TT.  This is an example of power of propagation at the
time of the terminator.

During the next hour and half, up until 1050 I put 10 more JA stations in the
log along with a very weak KL7RA.

At about 1000 hours I started feeling sick to my stomach and shortly thereafter
got the chills.  At 1100 I settled down into my sleeping bag with all my clothes
on to try and get the chills stopped.  I went to sleep and didn't wake up until
1430, shortly after sunup.

Consequently I missed the opportunity to possibly add mults of HL, BV, VK, JT,
and NH2.  But that is the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I went back to sleep for four hours, got up, didn't feel any better. I packed
it in at 2300.  I shut down the radios, locked up the bus and headed home.

All in all, it was a good one night experience.  I learned some things, having
never done a single band 160 in ARRL DX CW before.

The DX country count shows 21-JA, 10-G, 6-DL, and 5-F.  This was by far the
best EU 'opening' for this contest season from this location.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73, and I hope to contact everyone again in the next one.

Milt, N5IA, operator at N7GP.