[3830] NCCC RY-Sprint K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC RY-Sprint K6UFO(@W6YX) QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:28:15 -0700
                    NCCC RTTY Sprint - Apr 5

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): .5
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   3      1
   40:  18      8
   20:   8      6
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  29     15  Total Score = 435

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I got to the shack early for a total makeover:
Reconnect all the cables that had moved during the week.
Upgrade Writelog.
Switch over to XMMT.ocx (so I could try 2Tone).
Install 2Tone decoder.
Get either of 2Tone or MMTTY decoders working as main or clone windows.
Uninstall the old MMTTY plugin.
Get the SO2R setup working.
Change the log from NA Sprint to NCCCSprint module, to allow dupes and to
easily calculate score.

I was not pleased with the 2Tone decoder. It failed to decode some
loud easy short calls (W1UJ and W7OM I think), because the AFC hadn't tuned
in yet? Also, when I'm trying to tune in a signal (because its not printing)
the AFC is also tuning and sometimes it seems like  we are at odds. The squelch

function is horrible, and when it unsquelches it spits 4 bad characters at
you.
I have lots of experience with MMTTY and never had these
&quot;operational&quot; problems.
Everyone seems to rave about 2Tone, so maybe I'll give it another chance ...

The NCCCSprint module doesn't really support RTTY. It wants to keep switching
back to CW Mode, counts all my RTTY QSOs as out-of-band, and doesn't let me
click in numbers - instead the number replaces the callsign! I had to do a
lot of fast typing corrections. I won't try that again... After all that, I
still had to manually calculate my score.

Activity was okay, but I find working Dupes really boring. I lose interest
and I just sit there watching instead of racking up the numbers. Lots
of times when I decoded another dupe I just sighed and moved on... At least
there were a couple of new calls spotted: K0TI and K7EA.

See you next week, maybe.

K6UFO MORK CA

W6YX Stanford University:
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft
40m: 4 el yagi at 60 ft
80m: inverted vee at 50 ft
Yaesu FT-1000MP and MkV both turned down to 5 watts.
Microham micro2r
Writelog and 2Tone