[3830] WPX CW AD1C SO(A)AB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AD1C SO(A)AB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:37:20 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 27

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  255
   20:  437
   15:  286
   10:   53
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM IC-7700 running 100W
Antennas:  HyGain AV-640 multi-band vertical, ground mounted
           1/2 G5RV in attic (hardly used)
Software:  WriteLog 11.11C

My first real contest with the IC-7700.  It performed well.

I had originally planned to operate only mornings and evenings (12-18z and
00-06z), when I thought the bands would be best.  I was discouraged by the poor
propagation on 15 meters Saturday morning.  When CR2X and TM6M are barely
audible, things are bad.  My wife and I saw a movie Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning I couldn't sleep, so I got up early, 0925Z, about 2 hours before
sunrise, and was treated to decent conditions on 40 meters.  Again, 15 meters
sounded poor, until about 1630z when, as if someone pulled the blanket off the
band, eastern Europeans started coming in with S9+ signals!  With QSO points
and multipliers piling up, as well as a change of plans that allowed me to
operate through to the end of the contest, I worked as hard as I could and
ended up passing my unwritten goal of 1000 QSOs / 1M points.

Because I was not loud, running was strange.  After calling CQ a few times, a
CW Skimmer would spot me.  Then about a half-dozen callers all jumped in at
once.  After working them out, no more callers.  I guess I could have kept
going until the next 10 minute sampling interval, but it was too painful to
just sit there calling CQ and listening to dead air.

Thanks to everyone for getting on the air with their unusual prefixes.