[3830] RAC Day VA7BEC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VA7BEC M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 23:32:46 +0000
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC VA7KO
Station: VA7BEC

Class: M/S LP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    2              2
   80:   14     20       3         3
   40:   49     54       5         6
   20:  162    208      10        11
   15:   52     36       5         7
   10:    1              1
    6:    2      1       1         1
    2:    1      2       1         1
Total:  283    321      28        29  Total Score = 203,262

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I haven’t been able to participate in a Canada Day contest for several years.
Always busy with work and family stuff. However, this year, the most pressing
tasks were under control and I wondered out loud if I might try a few hours in
the contest. My dear OM, Koji VA7KO, said he would happily split operating
duties with me, and we'd enter as a MOST, with him on CW, and me VA7BEC on SSB.
I had to promise to give him sufficient time in the chair -- yes, I tend to
ignore the operator schedule if a pileup situation develops.
Well, as many others have commented, propagation was awful on the high bands,
so the challenge to attract a pleup and then sustain activity was tough. Hence,
it wasn't too difficult to give up the chair, in the hope that CW might be more
productive. It wasn't necessarily so, and I was soon back in the chair. :)
It was great to hear many familiar callsigns and exchange a &amp;quot;hello,
how
are you?&amp;quot; -- more on SSB than CW, of course -- as this contest always
generates an atmosphere conducive to pleasantries.
Given the very challenging band conditions and a few household interruptions
that left the chair empty, we are pleased with our results. VA7BEC was
obviously a welcome multiplier for many stations, including some outside North
America, and by the same token, we were happy to hear so many VE4s and VE5s as
well as stations in the Maritimes. US participation is always welcome, as well.
Indeed, all the activity makes for a great day at the radio.
For myself, I was very pleased to hear a VY0 -- my first NU contact ever!!
Every contest, big or small, always provides a first of some sort.
On behalf of the VA7BEC team, I extend a big thank you to everyone in the log.
Your great ears and/or considerable patience/perseverance despite the noise
made RAC Canada Day 2013 very enjoyable.
To all the US stations, thanks for the &amp;quot;Happy birthday
Canada&amp;quot;
wishes. We return the sentiment with a &amp;quot;Happy Fourth of
July&amp;quot;.
Oh, and Ralph VE7XF, I have needles, some yarn and an easy pattern for socks,
if you’re interested. ;)

73
Rebecca VA7BEC and Koji VA7KO