[3830] CQWW SSB DH8BQA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dh8bqa@necg.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB DH8BQA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:27:13 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: DH8BQA
Operator(s): DH8BQA
Station: DH8BQA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: JO73ce
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 2232    39      144
------------------------------
Total: 2232    39      144  Total Score = 980,331

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3, PA + single 6 ele OWA Yagi @ 60 feet

Good conditions, but they have been even better the week before the contest!
Being non-assisted I surely missed a number of mult's as shown by DL assisted
OPs although the sub-RX in the K3 helped a lot to search for mult's during slow
run times. Never heard any zone 1, a pity as I had a clean sweep on zones 2
years ago.

Saturday was really great! Managed to higher my rate record 202 in 60 minutes.
Went to bed with almost 1.400 QSOs in the log and already started dreaming of
finishing with 2.500 total. But Sunday I couldn't get a good JA run in the
morning and also the afternoon was difficult to NA. Although everybody I asked
confirmed I had a clear frequency run rates where much too low. Besides this
the band closed an hour earlier than Saturday. :-( Also had to struggle with my
north-eastern location within Germany, the band is usable 1 hour longer in south
and west DL and we cannot make up for it in the mornings. Worked 100 stations
less from NA this year than 2011 but the 25 more JAs do not make up for it.

Although it might sound a bit like complaining I sure had a very good time and
enjoyed every single minute! Always nice to see the band wall to wall with
signals from 28.3 (and below!) to 29.2 MHz although that also means a lot of
time needed for a full band scan for mults. So the sub-RX came in handy again
to pre-fill the band map and then go and just pick up all the calls. That
proved more efficient than to leave the run frequency for every found new mult
and maybe fight for it after returning. Likewise if pileups were too big simply
putting the mults on the bandmap or sub-RX and returning a little later was
often the better alternative than to fight in the pileups. So a few good
strategic moves but probably still need more aluminium in the air. ;-)

Now looking forward to WWDX-CW and keeping fingers crossed for condx to
return!

73, Olli - DH8BQA