[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 04:29:06 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:   29    26
   80:   49    39
   40:   80    54
   20:  144    84
   15:  177    81
   10:  277   103
-------------------
Total:  756   387  Total Score = 877,716

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't consider this contest until it had been running for a couple
of hours.  When I remembered I got on the air to see how many
multipliers I could accumulate by pointing and clicking.  At first I
thought I would stick to just one QSO per country, but that made
pointing and clicking a bit boring at times.  So I worked other
interesting stations, and after a while it became almost every station
that showed up on the band map.

I was surprised how often I cam across other stations that were doing
the same thing.  Interestingly, there were too few spots on 80 and
especially 160, so I had to go tuning for some QSOs.  Hopefully the
guys doing the tuning and spotting will keep on tuning and spotting.

After a while I decided that my goal was to work DXCC on at least 1
band and make a million points.  I got the multipliers but fell short
on the QSOs and points.

I was required to take a half-day break Saturday to look at a job
related problem.  I also had household chores and a child to look
after.  But I did stay up too late each night and slept for at least 8
hours, so I didn't work as many of the European multipliers as I might
have otherwise.

Other than 3V, CN and ZS, I didn't hear any Africans.  I saw spots for
9J2T but I though someone was spoofing PJ2T, especially since a couple
of times the spots were for the same frequency.  But apparently 9J2T
was real.  Oh well.

No suprise multiplier since I called them all myself.  I did work a
new country though, FW on 10 meters, on the first call, no pileup,
after he had already been spotted.  Lucky break.

Six banders: PJ2T, 8P5A, VP5H, TI8M, V26M, T48K, II9P, TM6M, PJ4G,
P40L, and HK1NA.  I had 14 5 band QSOs.  I volunteered to move to 160
in the first hour!

DX worked 3V, 6Y, 7X, 8P, 9A, 9K, 9L, BY, C6, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU,
CX, DL, E5/s, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EI, ES, EU, F, FG, FM, FR, FW, FY, G,
GI, GJ, GM, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HZ, I, IS, J7, JA, KH2, KH6,
KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OD, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OZ,
P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ5, PJ7, PY, PZ, S5, SM, SP, SV, SV5, SV9, TA, TF,
TG, TI, TK, UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3, V4, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP9, XE,
YB, YL, YN, YO, YS, YU, YV, Z3, ZD8, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS.  110
countries and 103 were on 10 meters.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410 with extra fans to suppress the internal
blower; Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet; Cushcraft A3S at 30 feet; 40 meter
vertical with 32 32-foot radials on the ground; 80 meter "cage"
wires
around the 65 foot 160 meter "T" antenna with 70 125-foot radials on
the ground; and receive antennas and phased arrays and stuff.