[3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:49:32 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  249
   40:  194
   20:  310
   15:  881
   10:  912
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

WOW!  What else can be said to sum it up.

For sure the best balance of conditions of the cycle for this contest.
The high bands were fantastic although not always.  Collectively,
better than anything else since 2000 - 2002.  We will sure be
fondly remembering this contest in a few years.

They key to this one, I believe, was to accomodate the bands and
maximize on what they delivered.  I tried starting on 40M but that
went nowhere, so it was off to 15 where a good run of JAs was
possible and then 20M where EU was wide open.  In fact, 20M was
very good from here until about 08Z to EU.  On both days, 20M
was not good to EU until about 18Z.  15M accomodated early
and then 10M followed.  However, 10M was decent but not great to
EU on Saturday and got better on Sunday.  Sunday was better overall
on both 10M and 15M providing the best rates of the contest.

20M was not great other than 20 - 06Z.  40M was hardly ever the best
band.  I found much better 6 point runs on 80M actually.  So, I found
myself camped out on 10, 15, and 80 for most of the contest.  40M was
second radio for about half the Qs and 20M was close to the same.  I
milked the 3 pointers for this one instead of rate.  I only found
myself dipping to the mostly US Qs twice, 20M mid day Sunday and
and 10M and 15M later Sunday afternoon.

The Asia openings were wonderful.  They weren't a HUGE add of Qs,
but they were a lot of mults (and a lot of fun).  I worked more JAs
in this year's contest than in all of the past 10 years of WPX SSB
contests combined.  There was great SA activity - but there is always
is in this contest.

My average points were 2.95.  Thats the highest ever for me.  The last
2 years were 2.45 and 2.7.  The 2.7 year was a new US LP record of 5.9
Million gross.  This year beat that significantly.  Best Qs, best
mults, highest average - all add up to great score.  We will see if
it holds vs other great scores that I am sure are coming.

We can only hope that WPX CW is as good.

73

Ed  N1UR/NV1N

80M - 2 el phased array
40M - 3 el at 80 ft and 2 el Delta fixed south
20M - 4/4 and 3 el south (broken)
15M - 6/6 and 3 el south
10M - 4 top, 4 south, and 8 el EU

Beverages - 1000 ft x 2 to EU, 600 ft N/S, 600 ft W