[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 23:52:23 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 35.8

------------
  160:    0
   80:    2
   40:   22
   20:   65
   15:  178
   10:  329
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  Elecraft K-2,  5 Watts

Antennas:

  10-15-20  3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
  40-80     Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
  40        DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet

For me this was the contest of contests. This is over three times my best
previous score in this contest from home.

I worked a number of stations that I usually only work after waiting hours in a
DX-Pedition pile-up like OD5ZZ, 9K2HN, TC3D, 3V8BB and 4L8A. Also others like
BV, 9M4, EA9, Antarctica, and several in each of zones 18, and 29.

But my best Q was on Sunday morning when I came across a weak TO7BC CQing in
the clear, many KHz from the nearest station. He came right back and told me he
was on Mayotte. He had no callers, so I actually went on-line and spotted him
...without looking at any of the spots!

I slept 5 hours each night and worked the clock so I had 35.8 hrs op time. This
works well for me at age 74. I did take off 20 minutes or so several times for
meals that are not counted in "off time".

My DXCC was 87 because I failed to get some easy Caribbean, Central America,
and Europe countries. My WAZ was 31. 44% of my Qs were in Europe, very high for
me from out here in San Diego which says something about conditions.

I tried CQing late on Sunday and worked 13 Qs in 22 minutes. That was very
good, but all USA so I went back to S&P for the "off continent" Q
bonus.

I still badly miss going to operate at TI5N and I wish Keko (TI5KD)a continued
recovery and all the best in the world.

73, and see you all at the end of May!

Bill  W6QU - W8QZA