[3830] ARRL June VHF W4IY Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4nf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W4IY Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:20:16 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W4IY
Operator(s): W7IY W4NF W4RM K4RG KI4GSS K0LB WA0DYJ AA4SI KG4URW N3WSO KG4YEA
Station: W4IY

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: FM08jm Flagpole Knob
Operating Time (hrs): 27
Remote Operation

    6:  567   132
    2:  415    86
  222:   98    48
  432:  160    57
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1240   323  Total Score = 483,854

Club:

Comments:

The Woodbridge Wireless ARC (WARC) VHF Contest Group had a great time on
Flagpole Knob, FM08jm elevation 4300' ASL. The group ascended the mountain on
Wednesday and returned Monday. The road was wet and very rough, but we didn't
have too many casualties.

The club generator worked flawlessly.

For the third contest in a row, we used two operating positions located in the
Club's small trailer with two bands at each position. One station used a Flex
5000A for 2M and 432. Another used an Elecraft K3 + 222 Transverter for 222 and
6M. The 2M and 432 stacked yagi antennas were mounted on a single AB-577. The 6M
beam and stacked 222 yagi antennas were mounted on another AB-577.

Conditions were excellent. 2M was non-stop and opened to the North and West of
us. We worked as far West as Missouri and well into Canada on both 2M and 432.
6M had an E-skip opening on Sunday, with some great access to the SW. We worked
Cuba and Cayman Island, too.

WA0DYJ did an outstanding job of feeding the crew. Omelets, blueberry pancakes,
steaks, chili, spaghetti and liberal amounts of wine.  (Note - it was especially
nice for both Joe, KG4EAY, and me, W7IY, to spend Father's Day in such a
beautiful place with our Dads, WA0DYJ and N3WSO.)

KA4RRU was able to join us for Friday night's picking session. Speaking on
behalf of Todd (KI4GSS from Grottoes, VA) and most likely the rest of the team,
it was an honor (relief?) to have such a great musician with us.

A large, black bear visited us on Saturday evening as we finished up dinner.
I'm sure the pictures will surface. He (or she) came back in the middle of the
night. After surveying the damage, we determined the bear preferred Yuengling
beer over any other brand because those were the only cans with chew marks.

Here is our score. This is one of our best efforts in a really long time.
Thanks to all who participated. We look forward to the September contest.