[3830] NAQP CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 13:32:42 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 9:31
Radios: SO2R

  160:   46    24
   80:  182    40
   40:  177    39
   20:  256    49
   15:  151    36
   10:   46    14
-------------------
Total:  858   202  Total Score = 173,316

Club: North Coast Contesters

Team: MRRC/NCC Team 2

Comments:

I got off to a very bad start with keying problems and I decided to take the
first 30 minutes as an off time. But in my rush to get into the contest, I
miscalculated and started operating one minute too soon.  Those 29 minutes that
I didn't operate count as operating time, so this brain-dead action probably
cost me about 50 contacts and a couple of mults.  A very stupid mistake.
Despite this, I still ended up with a new personal best score for the August
NAQP, so I am reasonably satisfied.

Other than that, everything went pretty well.  A storm came through just before
the contest started and QRN was really bad even on the high bands, but the QRN
died down as the storm moved away and by the time I got to 80/160 the QRN was
not much of an issue.  Except for 10, the bands were really good.  10 opened to
a few places but my antenna there is pretty poor and I probably wasted too much
time trying to put those mults in the log.

I pushed hard on the SO2R and I probably had two radios in my ears for about
70$ of the contest.  I think it helped a lot but there is still a lot of room
to improve my technique.

I think there is one more mult in my log that Win-Test didn't count.  I worked
both W1AW/0 and W1AW/4 on 40 but Win-test counted the latter Q as a dupe.
Hopefully this will add another 1,000 points to the score.

This is a great contest with a bottomless pit of contacts available.  Looking
forward to going over 1,000 contacts, which should be possible with a little
more skilful operating and fewer stupid mistakes.

Equipment:

K3 and Omni VI Plus
Win-test
Dipoles for 20-160