[3830] WAE CW K9GY/VP9 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K9GY/VP9 Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 02:10:40 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K9GY/VP9
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: K9GY/VP9

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM72pi
Operating Time (hrs): 36

   80:   43          13
   40:  306   279    32
   20:  585   530    44
   15:  366   500    37
   10:   20     0     7
-------------------------
Total: 1320  1309   133  Total Score = 851,796

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Do You QTC? Or are you too QRL for WAE? QRU WAE?

The battle of when to take off times! Maybe I should buy a crystal ball here in
order to predict propagation! SF went from 136 to 123 to 113 to 108. The
potential for disaster was when the K index went to 4 with three hours left
although it didn't seem as bad as I thought it might be. Thank goodness for
W6ELProp or I'd be a mess!

Someone forgot to send the memo that from 00-02z on Day2 was a great time to
nap...lots of stations seemed to disappear ....when condx seemed to improve
(K=0 @ 21z D1). The VP9 SR was not as expected although the EU SR/SS were
great. 40+20 were better the day before contest Day1. Seemed like the best time
to operate overall D1: 00-07z and D2: 02-07(?)z. Overall participation seemed to
increase on D2 versus D1.

Travel details: Kiosk baggage check-in at O'Hare was a disaster (not enough
personnel and clueless vacation mode travelers). TSA pre-check and radio
equipment went well. Newark airport (EWR) is nice. VP9 is only two 2hr flights
from Chicago. Seems I brought some much needed rain to VP9 although Ed VP9GE
says they need more.

Always interesting to be asked for QTC when the last 10 minute rate meter says
132! At one point there was over 300 QTCs to send but used D2 to catch up. How
can someone using DL0WAE call not accept QTCs?!

Ok so after operating here for a bit someone spots me as KG9Y/VP9...and of
course here comes dupe city... people check those spots!

Intermediate (game time) goals were 1k Qs and 1 mil pts. Well at least one was
accomplished, hah! Log shows about 33% QSOs were Germany.

Yaesu FT-857D
Cushcraft A4S (20,15,10), Dipole (40), G5RV (80)
LDG AT-100ProII Autotuner
microHam USB Interface II
WriteLog
XT-4 Memory Keyer

Thanks for all the Qs!

E-mail Ed VP9GE if you're interested in renting his place. Sure was a lot of
FUN! Check it out at VP9GE.com

All the best,
Eric /VP9

DAYTON!