[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:36:40 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  211    48
    2:  246    48
  222:   97    34
  432:  122    37
  903:   30    15
  1.2:   50    19
  2.3:   20    11
  3.4:   11     7
  5.7:    8     6
  10G:    9     6
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  804   231  Total Score = 306,537

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

This will be remembered by me as the summer of repair after repair. Everything
seemed to go wrong from multiple coax and control line failures, amp issues and
lightning damage. After a lot of work I was still down to only a watt or so on
2.3 ghz (normally 40). 3.4 ghz that was completely deaf for still unknown
reasons, and about 25% of normal power on 903. Debilitating noise issues on 2M
have yet to be found, leaving about 60 degrees of the compass unusuable for
more than half of the contest. I'm working on regaining the energy to try to
fix all the problems and continuing to keep things running.

As for the contest, general tropo condx were probably below normal for much of
the time until Sunday night when things improved. From the reports there was
tropo from the SE US to the upper midwest. Here, the only DX heard was N4QWZ.
I've lived at my QTH over 25 years and can count on one hand the number of
tropo openings toward W TN from here. Yet Todd was in here Saturday night and
amazingly again Sunday. We worked on 144,222 and 432. I'm still wondering why
not a single other DX station was heard despite repeated CQs and tuning the
band. It seems 'QWZ was widely worked so it doesn't seem like it was a narrow
duct. I do think W2SZ was working quite a bit of DX from their elevated QTH so
hopefully they will share so we can see what was going on. Otherwise the other
enhancement was on 6M Saturday afternoon as has been reported although here is
was the Florida QSO party with about 25 qso's in the state and perhaps 8 or 9
grids worked during the opening. No DX was worked here - I'm not sure if it
wasn't open for my area or I just missed it.

Overall, despite more time spent, the score was down about 10% from 2013. A
little was from minimal wsjt use this time so fewer grids were worked on 6 and
2. Some was from poor results on the microwaves from a combination of my
equipment problems and fewer rovers out this year. And part is from lower
participation levels.

Tnx for the Q's and hope to get reenergized to start fixing more things....

73,
Jeff