[3830] SS SSB VE8EV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve8ev@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB VE8EV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 04:12:35 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VE8EV
Operator(s): VE8EV
Station: VE8EV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Inuvik, NT
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   23
   20:  160
   15:  814
   10:    7
------------

Club:

Comments:

My notes from SS last year said "try harder" so I resolved to keep my
butt in the chair and work the radio hard.  I got off to a good start on the
high bands and then suffered through the usual Saturday night 10-per-hour
doldrums (no, I still haven't got the 40m yagi up yet...)  Six hours of sleep
and then back in the chair at 1200z expecting to make some hay on 20m but
thanks to the ongoing geomagnetic disturbance things didn't go as planned.
Forty-five minutes of CQing to put the first Q in the log, W1WMU, who sounded
like someone with their head inside of a full fishbowl.  The second Q didn't
come for another 45 minutes and that pretty much set the tone for rest of the
morning.  At times there was nothing at all on any of the bands and when
signals did peak out of the noise it was hard to get heard even with power and
the big yagi. It reminded me of the "bad old days" a few years ago at
the bottom of the cycle!  Mercifully the electric overcast finally relented
around 1900z and I pushed hard to at least make the sweep and get some Q's in
the log.

Nice to see all the activity from NT, I think there were almost ten of us
battling to get out from under the aurora this year.

73
John VE8EV