[3830] CQWW CW VP2MDX M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dl2hbx@gmx.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VP2MDX M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:10:38 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VP2MDX
Operator(s): G3NKC G4XUM G0SYP DM5EE
Station: VP2MDX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   153    10       24
   80:   806    27       88
   40:  2364    36      120
   20:  2110    39      132
   15:  3318    39      134
   10:  3043    37      141
-------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Station:  2 x K3 plus Amps (400W)
          160m dipole, 80m dipole, 2 ele 40m beam, TH6

For 2014; we put together a team consisting of Dave, G3NKC;  Martin, G4XUM;
Carsten, G0SYP and Uli DM5EE who were prepared to travel the distance from
Europe to Montserrat.  For Dave & Martin, this was a switch from our
travelling over a number of years for the SSB event.

A number of issues awaited us at our choice of station that delayed us setting
up the station. In the event, the antennae were finally installed on Thursday
night, leaving Friday to set up the rig, amps and logging programme of choice;
WinTest.  Thankfully this went well, and except for the occasional PC glitch,
the station hung together very well.

In preparation for this year; we purchased a set of 4O3A high power
filter/combiners, to share the TH6 for HF bands. This combination worked very
effectively. We did not have the luxury of a 3rd station for mult hunting
unfortunately.

Conditions seemed very good on the HF bands; and we were often spoilt for
choice as to which bands to run. 20m in particular was open for 24 hours !

Operating standards, from EU seemed very unruly; poor operating damaged our
rates I would say; by contrast US operators seemed a lot more proficient at
listening between calling, and only responding when acknowledged; but at the
expense of 2 point QSO's.

We were very pleased with our score overall; out of curiosity we did rescore
our log as if we were in 3 point land; we would have made a very competitive
score if only we were in SA !

Our newly formed team this year worked very well together; and the event &
experience was enjoyed by all. When Uli analysed the log after the event; we
were very surprised to find that individual QSO totals were within 3% of each
other !! We think this is a very balanced team.

We thank you all for our QSO's, the event was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Hope to see you all again next year