[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:40:20 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1500   119
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1500   119  Total Score = 535,500

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Mother Nature certainly had an impact on my weekend contesting. The original
plans were to be part of the M/M team at NR4M’s but due to icy roads and
extreme cold temps I was not able to make the trip. As I knew the entire
weekend would not be available I decided to enter the same class as last year,
Single Op 15 meter high power. That was again a good decision as 15 was open
and activity was high.

Even with the start time at 0000 UTC the band was open into Asia on Friday
night. Saturday morning I got on around 1145 UTC and the band was already
alive. The EU signals were strong and everywhere so finding a frequency took
some time. A quick S/P up the band looking for a clear frequency was very
rewarding and allowed a reasonably high rate as every station was new and many
were mults. After one pass up and then down I changed to run and that was more
fun.  It was easy to tell how long it took Skimmer to locate and spot me.  Just
about 2 CQs and the pileup started and continued until my neighbor called with a
no water from the well problem. I went off the air for about 3 hours and helped
him with frozen pipes and dirty relay contacts issues on his well. About 2100 I
turned the stack to Japan and was not disappointed.  The JAs started slow and
light copy but that quickly changed along with adding a few needed mults from
Asia to the log. Sunday was much the same as Saturday except for the added
benefit of a few Asian Long Path Qs, all of which were mults.

My original goal was to try to reach 2000 Qs but due to a lack of Butt in Chair
that was not possible. By the end of the contest I had 233 JAs in the log which
was more than last year. Maybe next year I will get the 2000 Q goal. Or, if
Mother Nature cooperates, maybe next year I will make it to Virginia and be
part of Steve’s M/M team.

Thanks for the Qs, the repeats and the fun time.

73,
Bruce N1LN