[3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 21:17:30 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  172    45  Total Score = 7,740

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It is the monsoon season here, it rained a few times, but luckily no lightening
when I wanted to operate. There is lightening now, first bolt quite close out
of nowhere!

I operated only about 9.5 hours (went over 35 minutes between a single QSO
Sunday evening while trying to work weak guys in OH/NC/TN who were running New
England), it seemed longer than that! This was my first contest running a KW on
6 M, but antenna is a 5 el Cushcraft yagi with some feed point issues. I was
crying in my beer the first hour; it seemed difficult to get into NJ most of
which is less than 200 miles away. But as the contest progressed, it became
apparent that my coverage area was increased considerably on CW, much less
extended on SSB. The breakdown of first time new grids was 28 on CW vs. 17 on
SSB and most of the easy ones were worked early on SSB. My grid is FM19cj. The
list of grids I worked mostly on CW that I would have missed or had trouble
working include: EN90,91(worked 4 or 5),EM79,86,89,95,97,99, FN01,03,13,22,33,
FM05,16. The closest grids missed were FM06 and EM98 due to little or no
activity; I must have worked over a half dozen FM07's).
Es propagation did not favor our area especially Sunday evening when I could
hear stations on the edge of my groundwave coverage to the S-W running New
England and FM16 running W9's and 7's. DX grids worked on order were FL15,
FK68, FL20, FM72, FL21, and IL18. NP4A was in for hours, but no other PR were
worked except one other when NP4A was very loud. Sunday around 22Z the and
opened to CT1 (beacons) and EA8, but only one loud EA8 was worked. Most of the
Es openings were out into the ocean, not very helpful in Q's or score building!
The only DX heard but not worked was VP2M and even local big gun K1HTV was not
successful while we both were calling. I worked one lone FL in EL96 and a brief
spotty opening to TX Saturday evening. Sunday evening I may have missed a
little, but around 0145Z only three DM43 stations were workable, no single hop
from the same direction. So, overall the Es into the USA/VE was a near bust
from here.

Many thanks for the Q's and to some for digging me out. I had loud line noise
around 20-22Z Saturday, but other than that pretty mercifully quiet, so I don't
think I missed many callers.

73, Jeff