[3830] PaQP N2CU SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP N2CU SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 00:51:43 +0000
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 16:17

  160:
   80:  177     46
   40:  418    263
   20:   26      0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
---------------------------------------
Total:  621    309      0         0  Mults = 108  Total Score = 174,508

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

That was fun! I decided to try a different strategy this year. Rather than
starting near my home base, and finishing the first night several hours away
(at 1 AM no less), I drove to the furthest county I was going to activate and
backtracked, ending up with a relatively short ride home. After the contest
ended the second day, I was driving along the expressway at 65 MPH when two
deer appeared in my headlights, one on the fog line and one on the striped
line. I split the difference while locking up the brakes and avoided both. That
would have been an awful end to a great weekend.

I activated 12 counties this year by selecting locations that minimized travel
time between counties. However, some counties are so large that there's no
getting around long off times. I knew I was in for a treat when lots of guys
were asking if I was going to activate Cameron County. Yes, I was going to in a
few hours. When I got there, KB3AGZ was holding a frequency for me and must have
been letting everyone else know I was coming. I worked him first and then he
turned the frequency over to me. The pileup was great and guys were well
behaved. I was thanked a number of times for providing the last county for
their sweep. One hour and 12 minutes produced 144 mixed mode QSOs; 119 SSB in
49 minutes.

I only worked bonus station W3C five times; a far cry from the big W3TDF
operation last year where I got 28 bonus station QSOs. 60 out of 67 counties (I
missed 3 counties that I activated myself), 47 SPC and 1 DX. The high bands
never opened for me; I checked them constantly but no go. The only DX (SM6BZV)
was ESP weak. Although my QSO count was up from last year, fewer bonus station
points meant a lower score. Bummer. I had hoped to do better and even set a
goal of 1000 QSOs. Maybe next year.

Special thanks to QSO leaders AA3B & K2SSS (18), NO3M (17), WA3HAE &
K8NYG (13), WA4GQG (12), K3PP & W1DWA (11), AA3LX, N3RN & W9QL (10) and
many others with multiple contacts who I knew would be worked in each county I
visited.

Please look for me operating mobile in the NYQP this Saturday.

K3, KA8KIP Eliminator screwdriver, N1MM+

73,
Tom N2CU <><