[3830] CQWW CW WX3B SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WX3B SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:01:13 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 18:38

  160:    7     3        3
   80:  162    23       78
   40:  205    22       86
   20:  196    39      107
   15:  379    32      108
   10:   72    11       27
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A GREAT Thanksgiving weekend that left me with some time to play radio starting
Saturday evening!!

Sat in front of the radio just in time to catch the awesome Asian opening on 15
meters Saturday night.  When you are FRESH MEAT from having missed Friday night,
it sure is fun.

My next stop was 80 meters, having heard a great report from NI1N who was
having a blast at W3LPL enjoying the excellent conditions.  The noise level was
low, and I could hear just about everything...right after I realized my NE and
SW beverage switches were reversed (a hazard of a last minute beverage repair).

The next 90 minutes sounded more like 20 meters than 80 with the excellent
signals and low noise.  Again...the benefit of being a new station arriving
late to the party.  Spent the last few minutes of that run pouncing on
multipliers to fatten up my total.

Next stop:  20 meters - alive with big signals from JA and Asia....followed by
a short run on 40, back to 80, with just a hint of 160 tossed in for
fun....then back to 20....40.....and 80 again....with a break from 0500 to
0900zulu...and somehow I could not sleep so it was BACK to 80 again and I was
surprised the band still had life...and then back to 40 to work those Europeans
in their broad daylight.  I was still getting answers from EU until about
6:10am.  For me, this is unusual!!

More multiplier chasing on 80, finally got JA3YBK into the log - great operator
there on 80, I was very fortunate to make it into their log.  Wow - they have a
huge signal on 80.

Was happy to put HS0ZAR in the log early during my excursion to 20
meters....and by 8:00am it was back to 15, where it was obvious I was a little
LATE to the party.  Had my best EU run on 15 - about 2 hours before I started
getting itchy to try 10.

I found 10m to be surprisingly open  - at least according to the LOUD GERMANS
that were calling and a few good skimmer reports.  I felt the band had been
abandoned in favor of 15 meters and the lack of callers helped seal the fate of
a quieter 10 meters.  As some other friends mentioned, the party *might* be over
for 10 until the next cycle...we will see.

Back to 15 for a few minutes, then decided I needed some QSOs and multipliers
on 20m.

Finished Sunday evening by hopping around fattening up on multipliers...and
running a few stations.

Went to 20m in time to catch a BOOMING Asian opening.  B1Z was so loud it was
hard to believe - a solid 20/9! BV1EL was 15Db/9.  They were all answering my
calls on the very first call, which is a nice treat.

Back to 80 to grab a few more multipliers near our sunset, and I was given a
lesson in humility as I had to wait in line for the EUs to work each other
first.  For my short times spent on 80, I thought the band sounded superb.

Finished the contest on 40, which was fun, being one of the few that all the
big guns had not yet worked.

18.5 hours of great contesting fun...actually I would call it more like DXing
since I spent several hours listening to other competitors and their runs.
Congratulations to team W3LPL on their Multi/Multi victory, to Tim N3QE for his
unbelievable score (he uses a high dipole/doublet as his antenna), Ken KE3X for
a great low power score, and NY3A for his excellent single-band 15 meter
results.

Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and awesome holiday season!!

73,

Jim   WX3B