[3830] CQWW CW 6Y3T(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cx@outlook.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 6Y3T(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 04:07:29 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 6Y3T
Operator(s): VA3EC VE3JAQ VE3RZ VE3CX
Station: 6Y5WJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  413    16       45
   80: 1204    25       89
   40: 2323    31      108
   20: 2554    34      110
   15: 1923    29       98
   10:  504    15       25
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

First and foremost, this was the first time this group of 4 Canuks got together
for a multi operation.  That said, everyone worked together seamlessly as
though we had done this many times before.  We arrived in Jamaica and were
picked up by the driver, Mervin, who was extremely adept at overtaking slower
vehicles, diverting past potholes that would have swallowed the car and blew
his horn at everything that looked as though it would move!!

It was a 2.5hr drive from Montego Bay airport to the 6Y5WJ (Josh) QTH and I
think the most memorable moment was when we came across a vehicle with its
hazard lights flashing and two strange boxes tied to the roof rack with bungee
cords.  Once we passed it, we realized that it was two HUGE speakers that was
blaring out the car radio!!

Josh and Jenn (his wife) are two superb people who made us feel at home
immediatly.  His QTH is up in the mountains on the south side of the island,
superb views from the balcony to the West and North West.

We spent the first couple of days getting everything setup and ready to
operate.  Lesson number 1, don't bring corporate PC's - we had to spend a lot
of time removing the corporate security settings to enable the computers to
talk to each other. Thank God we had Tom (VE3CX) and his IT skills otherwise we
would still be trying to get that sorted!

Harry (VA3EC) and Dennis (VE3JAQ) then spent some time working the DX (neither
of them had experienced the DX side of operating before and I think they kind
of enjoyed it!!)

We started the contest as M/2 with Harry and Dennis taking the first shift.  I
and Tom would spell them and we worked the late night EU sunrise times.  We had
not checked propagation until 10 mins before the contest when we saw the A index
at 30!!  However, thankfully the propagation was all north south at the
beginning so there were many W stations to work.

We had lots of good runs throughout the weekend, with amazing openings to JA
(5% of our QSOs were JAs).

I think for Harry, the highlight of the contest was being spotted by HL2WA!
There was lots of DX, but we were probably not as adept at passing mults as we
could have been - that is something to work on for the future.

Jenny was amazing in the kitchen, producing fantastic food all the time, from
local ingredients - much of which was grown on their land.  Jamaican patties,
chicken, pork and beef dishes all went down so well... I think we all put on
weight there!

We are very pleased with the score - not earth shattering, but very respectable
and we will have to see how we stack up.

I don't think that there is any doubt that we will be back sometime to this
great Jamaican QTH.

QSO breakdown by continent

North America - 6593 71.6%
south America - 215   2.3%
Europe        - 1756 19.1%
Africa        - 59    0.6%
Asia          - 490   5.3%
Oceania       - 96    1.0%

Rigs: station 1 - K3, TL922 Amp (6-700watts)
                  ant: 40m vertical
                       Spiderbeam at 40ft fixed on EU

      station 2 - K3, ACOM 1000 (7-800watts)
                  ant: 160m inverted L, Beverages on EU and US
                       80m inverted Vee
                       Gem Quad 20-15-10