[3830] FlQP K0HC(W0BH) SchoolMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K0HC(W0BH) SchoolMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 14:58:48 +0000
Florida QSO Party

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: SchoolMixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   40:   36     10
   20:  271    185
   15:   14      2
   10:
--------------------
Total:  321    197  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 55  Total Score = 102,358

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

Thanks to the sponsors and the ops for a really enjoyable 20th anniversary
edition of the FQP!

The mobiles were out in full force.  These numbers likely include a few dupes,
but I think I got most of them.  I sometimes accidentally typed  N4OJ or K4EEB
and so didn't show a dupe and called you twice. My bad, sorry, but got it
corrected later.

N4GI        : 5
N4DAB       : 7
K4ZGB       : 11
KN4Y        : 16
N4FP        : 17
K8MR        : 20
AD4ES       : 21
W4AN        : 22
NO5W        : 30
N4EEB       : 34
K4OJ        : 37
K4KG        : 44

The most fun was tracking K4OJ and N4EEB for my Sweep. I somehow missed OKE on
Saturday, so while most were waiting for CLR, I needed CLR plus OKE. I noticed
both K4OJ and N4EEB were racing towards OKE. For fun, I pulled up my mapping
program and started tracking them by county crossing times.  There aren't many
roads in that part of Florida, so it was easy to see where they were. My
mapping program predicted their county crossing times almost perfectly if I
subtracted a few minutes for what I shall call "speed differential"
:-)

As we got closer to OKE, N4EEB was coming in from the west and K4OJ up from the
south.  They appeared to be heading for the same OKE border crossing. K4OJ had
two possible routes, one direct which put them there first, or one through an
additional county.  They chose direct and I got my Mixed Sweep from them.  I
next needed OSC for my CW Sweep.  Team OJ dipped south to pick up another
county which put team EEB in the lead for OSC and my CW Sweep.  K4OJ seemed to
be travelling a bit faster, so I wonder if they caught up later!  At times,
they must have almost been in sight of each other.

Thanks to all the mobiles for many Qs. A wish for next year would be to have
back the web page with their routes published so I knew the order of their
route.  The format this year gave mobiles in county, but no routes which made
things much more difficult.  Maybe I just didn't find the correct page. And I
know the mobiles would join me in asking fixed stations to respect the mobile
window. Several of the 1x1 fixed stations were particularly prominent and cost
me a number of Qs with the mobiles trying underneath. Having said that, most
didn't, and the 1x1s did a great job of representing FLORIDA SUN!

On Sunday, it would have been possible to Sweep in one day. It seems like
Collier is always a problem and anyone that goes there has to go through big
counties to get there so it's a long wait for us and a slowdown for the
mobiles. Starting there on Saturday maybe, then head north?

Again, great work all!  Join us for the Kansas QSO Party August 26-27 with
plaques, certificates, 1x1 spelling, and antique radio stamps to collect.

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC