[3830] WPX CW KU1CW(@W4AAW) M/M HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, W4AAW@xxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KU1CW(@W4AAW) M/M HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 01:07:24 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KU1CW
Operator(s): KU1CW W2UP KJ0D NA3D N3TOD
Station: W4AAW

Class: M/M HP
QTH: VA FM19CB
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

------------
  160:   22
   80:  252
   40:  946
   20: 1455
   15:  314
   10:   30
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Mr. Murphy never misses an opportunity to make his presence known.  Our VPN
router started acting up moments after we ordered the doubling of our Internet
connection speed.  The speeds we then saw at the operating positions were
actually LOWER than before.  The higher speeds were just not making it through
the router, leading to many crippling audio dropouts.

Then, moments before the contest began, the antenna switchboard had a massive
failure.  Fortunately, we were able to "hard wire" around the antenna
switchboard and had four positions on the air within 10 minutes of the contest
start.  The antenna switch was repaired and worked flawlessly for the rest of
the contest.  Audio dropouts eventually became less frequent and some very good
rates were achieved.  The team are all troopers and just kept peddling.

It would be superfluous to mention the effects of solar disturbances, etc.
Quite a bit of rough sledding for everyone.  How laughable it is, to hear the
speed queens running 36 wpm plus have to send their number 8 or 9 times, rather
than simply slow down in view of rotten conditions.  Happens every time.

Our far flung team had nine ops operating remotely as follows: (*=PVRC Member)

KU1CW-Washington
W2UP-Colorado
W4AAW*-Virginia
NA3M*, K3TN*-Maryland
KJ0D-Missouri
W4TMO-North Carolina
NA3D-New Jersey
N3TOD

Thanks to Alex, KU1CW for the use of his call for this one.

Many thanks to CQ Magazine for sponsoring this great contest and for having a
full time Contesting Column in each issue.

Also, to all the contest participants, thanks for all the Qs and Mults.

We are doing a major station rebuild this summer with new, additional towers,
antennas, and further upgrades to our web interface and rigs.

see: www.remotecontesting.com