[3830] WPX CW N3QE SO(A)AB(TS) HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tshoppa@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N3QE SO(A)AB(TS) HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 01:07:27 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N3QE
Operator(s): N3QE
Station: N3QE

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    7
   80:  169
   40:  745
   20:  958
   15:   54
   10:    1
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Ten-Tec Eagle, AL-1500, 130-foot doublet.

My plan was to knock myself out on 40M and 20M and pass up my nearly-5-million
score from last year.

The first hours on 40M were incredible. Conditions to Europe were superb with
no local thunderstorm noise on my end and I racked up many long strings of
6-pointers.

20M was great to Japan Saturday AM, but just so-so to Europe in my morning. By
Saturday afternoon 20M was really rocking to Europe. 15M was usable to Europe
on Saturday morning. Note to self in next solar min year: plan for some more
off time in mornings/lunchtime.

So that was a great first half. Looked like I was really on my way to passing
up a total score of 5 Million.

I had put a lasagna in the oven for supper late Saturday afternoon. Took a
short break about 2240Z to eat with the family and came back to find aurora
flutter on almost everything. I had already worked all the loud and easy EU
stations on 40M the night before, so I deviated from my plan and went to 80M
which was still quite decent to Europe. There was no local thunderstorm noise
but flutter made copy very difficult on the guys who sent at 35WPM and would
not slow down. You'd think they might slow down after I had asked for a repeat
5 times but everytime they'd send 5NN and the serial at the same high speed. I
even went to 160M to work some mults, something I would not normally do in WPX.
Also went to 20M and worked some decent east coast USA presumably bouncing off
aurora?

Sunday AM found 80M and 40M decent domestically, but 20M was a real snoozer to
EU. I had already burned my 12 hours of off-time so I had no choice but to just
operate through. By mid-afternoon 20M got a lot better domestically, and just a
little later got decent to Europe. 20M was also good short with a lot of
eastern US booming in direct (not aurora reflection). 20M not nearly as good to
EU as the first day but OK.

While copying nearly two-thousand serial numbers, I got to thinking about
Benford's law. That is, if you ignore the leading zeroes, the most likely first
digit for a number will be 1. In fact 1 is more common as a first digit, than 7,
8, 9 all put together. Complete link here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law

Tonight I made a histogram of the distribution of first digits of the serial
numbers I copied. Below find the first digit, the number of times it occurs
first in a serial number (does not quite add up to 1934 because a few guys told
me they were not in the contest and I gave them zeroes), and a bar chart of its
popularity. Seems to follow the Benford's law distribution quite nicely!

5 147 *******
6 115 *****
7 123 ******
8  89 ****