[3830] ARRL June VHF AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 02:43:08 +0000

  24G:
-------------------
Total:  117    46  Total Score = 5,382

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m (6m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 W/KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

I certainly have never worked so many contacts in a VHF contest, ever. I more
than doubled the number of 6m contacts at the Gwinnett county location.

This was a casual effort. Ended up at the QTH Saturday afternoon intent to see
what was happening. I had time during the contest to patch a hole in the shack
wall with joint compound.

Used the A3S through a tuner. This works, although heaven knows what the
pattern looks like. It does have SOME kind of pattern, because signals change
when the antenna rotates.

Propagation Saturday was spotty. I worked a few locals at the start. Just
before 2100z, had a small opening to the west, which eventually evaporated. My
youngest daughter fixed me dinner, which was delicious, and I left for the day
around 0000z.

Sunday I arrived about 2030z, and found things started to open around 2100z.
Propagation was much stronger, with a strong opening to the northeast. The
opening would come and go. There would be 10-20 minutes with several strong
signals, then 10-20 minutes of nothing but locals. Propagation target areas
also appeared to shift around.

Alternated between S & P and calling CQ. Was pleased to have a pretty nice
runs on CW, as well as a few short ones on Phone.

Managed to work C6ATA, but missed ZF2EJ.

Glad to work so much. Next time, I hope to have an actual VHF beam antenna. I
love it when 6m is open!