[3830] IARU WT2P SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wt2p@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU WT2P SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 16:21:02 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: WT2P
Operator(s): WT2P
Station: WT2P

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  111      3      6       4
   40:  224     68     20      20
   20:  253     51     21      35
   15:   59      9      7       2
   10:    7             2       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  654    131     56      62  Total Score = 212,282

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Fun contest! I got started about 2 hours late (I overslept) and I ended up
crashing about 2 hours early. Still with the time deficiency, I've managed to
set the bar high for future contest efforts from my modest station.

Previous Q total record in any contest from this QTH (1994-00, 2013-present)
was ~635, now the next goal is 800. I'm sure if I had those extra 4 hours I
lost I would've been able to push well over 800.

First time using SO2R in a high power environment. Nothing's blown up (yet) so
we're off to a great start! I do have some nagging noise I need to fix.
Overall, I was able to operate low power 80 and HP 40 with minimal
interference. I need to work on the 80M antenna before NAQP RTTY/CW to get it
resonant below 3600.

The bands were... interesting to say the least. I didn't work any EU until
around 18-1900Z which really impacted my score. I was pleasantly surprised that
15 was open and also a technique I was reminded of in P4 was to check 10M at the
top of the hour, so I dedicated the second radio to 10M and when I noticed
activity I could pounce while keeping up on either 20 or 15 with the other
radio. I never really got a good run going on 15, while I was able to achieve
that on 20M. had a 78 hour on 14004, then a 40 hour on 14061. 40M yielded a few
good run hours 59/58 hours on 7038 and a small SSB run on 7139 around 0200Z.

Many thanks for the SMC members who called in. I used the SMC Member History
file and when I could I tried to throw in a little GO SMC.

Stats:
SO2R:
114 2nd radio Q's (10 & 80CW) - 107 2nd radio q's on 80, 7 on 10.

Run Q's: 289, S&P: 496
This is total opposite of last year when I was wanted DX and could attract a
frequency for hours! However, in looking at the timeseries, at night when I
went to 40 and 80 and was able to practice 2 band synchronized CQ that
certainly helped. Towards the end I maintained a CQ on 80M and did s&p 40.
I was still able to yield a handful of contacts in the last 3 hours I
operated.

73
WT2P