[3830] CQWW SSB W2RE(@W1/EASTPORT) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2re@remotehamradio.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W2RE(@W1/EASTPORT) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 15:49:21 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W2RE
Operator(s): W2RE
Station: W1/EASTPORT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:   77     9       31
   80:  247    16       67
   40:  787    25       87
   20: 1387    29      104
   15: 2036    26      105
   10:   71     9       22
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Remote Operation from Eastport, Maine

First of all, Congrats to Doug Grant K1DG! Incredible job OM!

Let me first talk about station operation and future developments before I get
into the contest.

My last CQWW operation was in 2012 which I participated from my Summit, NY Qth.
I was physically onsite operating with Yaesu 1000mp’s and tube amplifies, I
now look back and think how archaic that operation seems to me today. I still
operate that awesome Catskill QTH but with a K3/0-mini on my kitchen table.

W1/Eastport:

In 2015 we purchased 63/ac land on the Atlantic Ocean where it meets with the
Bay Fundy in Eastport, ME. IMHO, its ideally the best location in the USA.
Video taken by drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmTk1A3M1Y

The Eastport station is completely automated for remote operation and it works
awesome for daily use but it has limitation for contesting as configured today
in SO2R or Multi. As we continue to build this station out with future
towers/antennas development we will cleverly incorporate seamless operations
for contesting. Like anything it takes time to develop a station but we add
another whole other level of complexity doing it remote.

W1/Lubec:

In Dayton this year, Dr. David Borenstein KA2HTV asked If we could develop him
s station just like W1/Eastport for his own personal remote operation. In a few
short months we went from nothing to an awesome station located in Lubec, Maine.
Video taken by drone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UlYfwBL7g

Nate N4YDU (NR3X) had the opportunity as mentioned in his post to operate this
newly developed station that we call W1/Lubec. Nate did an incredible job even
w/o 2nd radio. Pretty impressive!

Contest:

Nate kept me motivated with an inner competition between ourselves. To keep it
interesting we decided to post our scores live on Cq-contest. Now, that was
fun!

I didn’t think it was possible to make 4600 Q’s without a 10M opening but I
underestimated the power of this location in Maine. Making 2000 Q’s on 15M was
a nice a surprise too. Both 20M and 15M were an endless pit of callers and it
never stopped.

John ON4UN would give me updates on my signal on 15m and 20M. He couldn’t
believe that I was 59+50db on both 15 and 20. Thanks for the updates OM!

Final thoughts:

Its magical when I turn on the radio that is located 500 miles away. I didnt
have single issue the whole weekend. Special thanks to Lee WW2DX and Rock WW1X
for keeping this stuff working 24/7/365.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmTk1A3M1Y

The Eastport station is completely automated for remote operation and it works
awesome for daily use but it has limitation for contesting as configured today
in SO2R or Multi. As we continue to build this station out with future
towers/antennas development we will cleverly incorporate seamless operations
for contesting. Like anything it takes time to develop a station but we add
another whole level of complexity doing it remote.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UlYfwBL7g

Nate N4YDU (NR3X) had the opportunity as mentioned in his post to operate this
newly developed station that we call W1/Lubec. Nate did an incredible job even
w/o 2nd radio. Pretty impressive!

Contest:

Nate kept me motivated with an inner competition between ourselves. To keep it
interesting we decided to post our scores live on Cq-contest. Now, that was
fun!

I didn’t think it was possible to make 4600 Q’s without a 10M opening but I
underestimated the power of this location in Maine. Making 2000 Q’s on 15M was
a nice a surprise too. Both 20M and 15M were an endless pit of callers and it
never stopped. Only reget was not spending time on 10M looking for mults.

John ON4UN would give me updates on my signal on 15m and 20M. He couldn’t
believe that I was 59+50db on both 15 and 20. Thanks for the updates OM!

Final thoughts:

Its magical when I turn on the radio that is located 500 miles away that never
have a single issue the whole weekend. Special thanks to Lee WW2DX and Rock
WW1X for keeping this stuff working 24/7/365.