[3830] CQWW SSB NN3W(N6GQ) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@n6gq.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NN3W(N6GQ) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:39:59 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): N6GQ
Station: N3HBX

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1400    37      124
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1400    37      124  Total Score = 622,426

Club:

Comments:

First, big thanks to John, N3HBX, for allowing me to again use the awesome
station there in Maryland! Great fun and what a killer station!

I was on the east coast for work and friends Rich, NN3W, Jon, KL2A and myself
had planned to do a M/S or M2 at N3HBX for CQWW SSB. Unfortunately their
schedules didn't accommodate the weekend so I ended up being the lone op. I
thought at first I'd do a SOAB HP but after a long week I didn't have the
energy, and I had a flight out at 5PM that I needed to get to, so that means
leaving the station no later than 2PM on Sunday, a full 6 hours before the end
of the contest. So based on the way conditions looked at the time, SOSB20
seemed like the logical choice.

The first night I went to bed with something like 75 QSOs in the log. As soon
as the contest started conditions dropped and the band was essentially closed
most of the night. I got up a few times in the night to listen, but the band
was mostly dead. Saturday morning rolled around and about sunrise the band came
alive. Same thing Saturday night - dead band most of the night short of a few
Q's here and there. Sunday morning again, sunrise opened the band and it was
full of big signals from Europe. Africa was very quiet this year. I missed
zones 34 and 36 (how?). Never even heard zone 36. I also missed zone 26 - heard
HS0ZCW numerous times but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get him to hear me.

All in all great fun - always love doing CQWW, and look forward to CW - just
not sure what's in store for that weekend given a very challenging life at the
moment. Thanks to NN3W and KL2A for the moral support and helping me get to the
station for the weekend. Wish I had more time, but it was a very relaxed and
limited effort - sleeping both nights (much needed!) and just very relaxed
operating the whole weekend.

Setup: FTDX5000, Alpha 8410, 6/6/6 20m stack + 5/5/5 20m stack + 6/6 20m stack
each on its own rotating 200' tower.