[3830] SS CW N4KG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N4KG@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N4KG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 03:47:41 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ALA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:34

------------
  160:    0
   80:  132
   40:  149
   20:   98
   15:   42
   10:    0
------------

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I used the CW SS to familiarize myself with recently upgraded software
(N1MM+)and station control (radio keying).  A BIG THANK YOU to Billy, AA4NU,
for numerous trips to my station to facilitate the upgrades and work on antenna
repairs.

I spent more time on the air than intended but did get comfortable with N1MM+
and the wireless keyboard.  One recommendation to N1MM users, turn OFF the
Contest Word Spacing !

At high speeds, Contest Word Spacing runs everything together resulting in
multiple requests for repeats at 40-50 wpm when the numbers could be copied the
First Time with slightly wider spacing and lower speed.

I lost count of the number of times I was asked to repeat my CHECK.
Finally, I put a SPACE between the numbers and had way fewer requests for
repeats.  A half space would be a nice addition.

15m provided some nice multipliers facilitated by the 'Geographic Filter' (i.e.
skip distance).  I heard LOTS of MT and VE7 stations but never could find VE6 on
CW.

NLI was nowhere to be found until I heard one on 40M Sunday morning with a HUGE
pileup.  Went to 20M and a QRP NLI station called me:-).

Missed NNY WY KP2 VE6
Last sections worked:  VE4 KP4

Antennas were sub-optimum, especially for a domestic contest, but seemed to
perform adequately.

80M Elevated GP (40 ft tower w/TH7 topload)
40M Corner Fed Delta Loop (bottom wire 3 ft above ground)
20m TH7 at 40 ft plus Inverted Vee aimed JA/SA at 50 ft
15m TH7 at 40 ft

Radio: Icom 746 with cascaded 500 Hz filters at 100w.