[3830] CQWW VHF W3SO Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3idt@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF W3SO Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 19:03:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): W3BC W3BTX W3XOX W3YOZ WA3TTS W3IDT
Station: W3SO

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

    6:  366   155
    2:  099   049
-------------------
Total:  465   204  Total Score = 115,056

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That was fun . . .

1. Well, sort of - at least for the first THREE hours!
2m had multiple QSOs with stations in KS, NE, and CO.
6m had 200 QSOs / 100 Grids.

2. Right at 2100z (5pm Eastern local) SSB/CW on 6m vanished.
Did we miss some rule or email or whisper that after 2100z everyone needs to go
to FT8? A SSB few stragglers were found on S&P, then nothing.
We enjoyed each others' good company for the rest of the weekend.
[Admittedly one "advantage" of having 1 QSO every five minutes!]

3. FT4 is a MUCH better CONTEST mode than FT8: Several bursts of 3 QSOs in 2
minutes. Being on FT8 during a contest to pad one's DXCC or Grid Square totals
makes sense, but CONTEST STRATEGY:
        STAY ON SSB/CW. THEN GO TO FT4. THEN GO TO FT8 or take a break.

4. The 2m transverter (which blew up in June) was back in service, all fixed.
WA3TTS built a 150.9MHz notch filter for use at 2m; REALLY killed 6m FT4/8
harmonic noise.

5. Off the air for an hour or so for a violent thunderstorm - disconnected
everything.
6m switching between FT4/8 and SSB/CW pretty smooth, though we lost a couple of
rover passes by not being fast enough. 6m also had some random audio-to-radio
and audio-from-radio issues: Win10 sound card drivers kept resetting various
parameters. Even had to disconnect the microphone as it sometimes stayed
"hot" during FT4/8 operation. Missed at least one rover pass by
forgetting to plug the mic back in. Oops. Problems not noticed at 2m: The
installations are "identical".

6. Unusually HOT on the mountain top: Well into the 90s.
Locals W3BTX and W3XOX brought up some large fans; else we would have had heat
stroke.

7. The TV stations sharing our mountaintop are playing frequency musical
chairs.
This might mean our intermod noise problems go away, or get much worse, or
simply change characteristics.  We'll have to wait and see.

8. The ARRL WPA Secion Manager, W3BC, paid us a visit on Sunday between hamfests
and made 1 QSO (2m FT8?). Hence, listed as one of the operators.

For the Wopsononock Mountaintop Operators, W3SO,
W3BC, W3BTX, W3XOX, W3YOZ, WA3TTS,

Bob, w3idt
ps. Anything resembling a rant above is from w3idt, not the W3SO group.