[3830] WWDigi KE3KK SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi KE3KK SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 23:42:43 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2019

Call: KE3KK
Operator(s): KE3KK
Station: KE3KK

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Northborough, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 8.0

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   66    15
   20:   69    14
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  135    28  Total Score = 4,956

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Great contest for my first one that I put an effort into.  12 hours in and I was
seeing 40 open up.  All of a sudden, while a QSO was being entered into the log,
I received a message from N1MM that it had received a system IO exception and
that the connection between N1MM and WSJT-X was forcibly closed by the remote
host.  N1MM then terminated WSJT-X.  The QSO was not recorded and I could not
restart WSJT-X from N1MM.  I rebooted the system and the same thing happened the
next time I completed a QSO.  After three more attempts and a lot of trying to
figure out what happened I had to stop my effort in the contest.  I had tested
everything thoroughly during the prior 3 week test sessions.  The only thing I
found to be strange is that a message appeared on WSJT-X frequency widow that
said it was changing my configuration.  This happened right before the error
messages above. This message went away quickly, and I did have time to write it
down or do anything about it.  This all happened at close to 00:00 UTC.
As a new/novice contester I learned a valuable lesson.  That being that I did
not have a backup system to turn to if one of the components in the system
failed.   I was just getting going on 40 and I was looking forward to running on
80 with my new inverted Vee.  I missed out on a lot of Q’s, Multipliers, fun
and seeing if I could make 24 hours!  I am looking forward to figuring out what
happened and to the next contest.

73,
Ron – KE3KK