[3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 20:46:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2019

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 37.3

   80:   47       19      7     8
   40:   79       26      9    10
   20:  190       45     20    16
   15:   43       14     12    11
   10:   14        2      9     8
-----------------------------------
Total:  373      106     57    53  Total Score = 123,984

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Yaesu FT-817, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
 Conditions appeared to be about the same as last year.  I made a few more QSOs
and my score was about 25% higher than last year.  Also, I had 14 Qs on 10 M vs.
ZERO last year!  However, I had a lower DXCC count this year (24 vs. 31) and one
less zone (18 vs. 19).

Murphy events: I have worked the bugs out of my station over the years, so
Murphy doesn't visit me much any more. But I had a BIZARRE thing happen this
time. Several QSOs into the contest I must have accidentally hit some incredible
combination of keys, because suddenly when I hit an F key to send a message, the
wrong message would type out. I was panicked.  But some testing revealed that
when I pressed F3 then F4 would print.  When I pressed F5 then F6 would print! I
could see no other way to fix this than to start over from scratch. Then after
thinking for a second I decided to un-tape my overlay and just move it to the
right one key width and continue.  This worked well for the rest of the contest.
...I hope this is not a permanent glitch!

I had no QSOs in this contest that were outstanding, all were regular contest
Qs. I did have a lot of trouble getting into Europe and it was late Sunday AM
before OL9A finally came back to my calls. That was the event of the contest! I
gradually picked up 3 more Euros for a total of 4. Last year I had 17.

Of my 373 Qs, only 73 were off continent!  65.7% of my Qs were actually with USA
stations!  This barely makes it as a real DX contest when you are QRP!

I slept 4 1/2 hours each night. That's how I got my op time up to 37.3 hrs.

Well now to find that glitch in my logging program! I'm really looking forward
to this new contest season! See you in the CQ WWDX SSB contest!

73,  Bill Parker  W6QU - W8QZA