[3830] SS SSB N3HEE SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, galicic@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N3HEE SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 12:38:34 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N3HEE
Operator(s): N3HEE
Station: N3HEE

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

------------
  160:
   80:  318
   40:  355
   20:   34
   15:    5
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The ARRL SS SSB is always tough for me.  This running was NO exception !  For
me, this contest depends on getting spotted often enough and at the right times
to keep a good run going. It also requires spending an inordinate amount of time
in the chair to do what others (with good antennas) can do in half time.

I found conditions particularly rough on Saturday afternoon and evening. I
started on 40 meters which was long at the starting gun.  I went to 80 early
hoping to get a run going and found it had also gone long. I just could not get
anything started Saturday. I only got spotted 3 times Saturday which really
hurt.  I only had one short run of 56 Q's on 80 meters Saturday evening. I
spotted every single S&P QSO that I made!

I was ready to give up after spending the first 10 hours with little to show
for. I decided to get back on Sunday morning and see if I could get something
going.  Still very difficult ?  I took a long lunch break and also decided to
take a nice long walk with wife on Sunday afternoon. I was ready to call it
quits! After the walk I got back on about 3:30 local time and the flood gates
opened up on 40 meters ! The band was in great shape and stayed short for a long
time. I got several key spots and I had some of my best rates of the contest! I
ran 171 stations on 40 meters in a couple of hours !

I missed NT and EWA for the sweep.  I heard NT but could not put him my log.  I
never heard the EWA station that was spotted. MS was also a rare find. I only
worked 2 MS stations.  I only used 15 and 20 meters to chase a few spotted
multipliers and make a few extra QSO's. Those are very weak bands for me.

I will have to say that if it wasn't for the online contest score board I would
have given up much earlier than I did.  Thanks to all who participate in the
online score boards !

Flex 6600M at 1KW with simple low wire antennas.