[3830] CQ160 CW W8LVN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8lvn.9@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W8LVN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 01:34:06 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W8LVN
Operator(s): W8LVN
Station: W8LVN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 334  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 4  Total Score = 39,528

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

First run of this contest with my own station at a new station.
 In the process of building up the station. For NAQP, I had only a 40 meter
 dipole about 5 feet off the ground. Just before this contest, we raised
 the 40 up about 60 feet, and built a new 80 meter dipole, and raised it
 up about 55 feet. Both perform superbly on their designed bands. So for
 160, an inverted 'L' is in the planning stage, but on my suburban lot,
 I actually have too many trees--some of them about 70 feet high. Detailed
 planning is required to thread the horizontal part of the 'L' through
 other trees.  In the meantime, to rush to get onto the air, I decided
 to build a Vanuatu Dipole for 160.  But please don't tell Pat.
 --
 You are probably wondering what is a Vanuatu Dipole. Well, when we went
 to YJ0 for the cqww in 2000, we had not planned for a 160 antenna. After
 we set up other antennas, I persuaded the team to put up a 160 dipole.
 It was barely 6 feet high. As we ran out the final leg of the dipole,
 we had just enough wire--only about 2 feet left. And no known source of wire
on
 the island.
 --
 We got on the air, and with some gentle prodding from VE1ZZ on 80 ("Go to
160
 at 12:34Z"), closed out the run on 80 (leaving some folks hanging) and
got
 to the agreed frequency. But it was 12:36. No John.  Finally the next night,
 I was there on time, and worked him. This was with 200 watts.
 --
 We worked a bunch of stations, including K8MFO, who was also using a dipole,
 in an inverted 'V' configuration. I had told the N8PD team that if we do
 160, someone will buy us a beer at Dayton.  Sure enough, Don spotted me
 in the flea market and bought me a beer.
 --
 So my thinking for this contest was that a dipole was better than nothing.
 I built it, and for a flashback, had one foot extra wire at the end!
 But due to the length of it, I was unable to get it hoisted into the clear
 in time.
 --
 So the contest is about to start, and I have no 160 antenna. Also, TRLOG
 and I are having some disagreements, which are ultimately resolved.
 I thought that wire in the air was better than not running the contest.
 So I load up the 80 meter dipole, and Presto RBN shows me activity.
 But this suburban lot has not yet been debugged for noise, and on the FT 1000
MP
 the contest would have been unworkable.
 try the new K3S. Astonishingly, I am hearing lots of signals over the noise.
 Unclear why the FT is so bad. Nonetheless, I run the contest on the 80 meter
 dipole, running a little over 100 contacts the first night. On a whim, I bring
in
 the lead in to the Vanuatu dipole, laying on the snow, to see if it would
 help the receive. Amazingly, it brings uncopyable signals up to readable.
 --
 No real dx--some XE and zone 8--determination pays off with 344 Qs and
 some enjoyable CW.