[3830] ARRLDX CW NT6Q(N5ZO) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, marko.n5zo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NT6Q(N5ZO) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 10:51:20 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: NT6Q
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: N5ZO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SDG, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   30    21
   80:  155    46
   40:  508    81
   20:  672    85
   15:   79    32
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1444   265  Total Score = 1,134,465

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I did not plan to do full time effort but I changed my mind after 1st day as I
thought it was going quite well and conditions on 20 m and below were quite
good.  It was 1st ever international contest LP effort from this station and it
felt better than I had expected.  I had expected contacts to Europe to be few
and so low multipliers and my strategy was to try to work as much QSO bulk as
possible from Asia.  But band conditions especially during 1st 24 hrs surprised
and I ended up getting also decent multipliers from this far West.  20 m was
quite incredible both mornings to Europe, and 40 was also quite good during the
night and even before sunset, I found.  I knew my station works quite well for
domestic contests but now with this LP effort I figured I do get out quite well
into Caribbean, Central and South America and I did not have to wait too much
time on getting through most of the island DX pile-ups.  It was more challenging
to work real DX pile-ups further away and I did leave few times but often worked
same station later.  Running and holding frequency was more challenging but was
still able to do some of that during better hours.

20 Qs in my totals are 0 pointers from US/VE.
Zones 14-16 had 486 QSOs (only 1 on 160 and 18 Qs on 80, none on 15 or 10
meters)
Zones 24-25 had 572 QSOs (4 on 160, 74 on 80, none on 15 or 10)
Slept 2 times total 3 hours with off-time total 5 hours on 2nd day and felt
quite OK.  I try to maximize time on radio as if one sleeps no QSOs are made.

Good race on onlinescoreboard with Bryant KG5HVO as KD5DD (who I never even
heard in contest).  I gained 300 QSO advantage on him during the night (probably
those JAs) but he gained 40 multipliers on me while I was off sleeping and he
was probably busy working Europe.  Last few hours I tried to maintain my overall
advantage of 100k points or so, and at the end was able to stay ahead 70k
points.  Last 6 or 7 hours were very slow from here and I would have probably
quit early if we wouldn't have scoreboard to keep it interesting.

It was probably my 1st ARRL DX contest that I have operated from anywhere as
SOAB as most of the time I skip these.  Somehow I was left with impression that
CQ WW DX contest has overall better operator behavior but I could be wrong.
Tnx for QSOs de Marko N5ZO