[3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs876@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K3ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:00:54 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 23

Total:  QSOs = 993  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 47  Total Score = 309,535

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

CQ 160 Meter Contests 2020

K1LZ(K3JO) vs. K3ZM

Round 2 - FIGHT!

For those who do not know, Round 1 (CQ 160 CW 2020) went the distance, with
neither K3JO nor K3ZM landing a knockout punch.  But this competition
resoundingly goes to my friend Velimir.  Many congratulations!  Except for
intra-family Briggs competitions, this year marked a rare case where the same
two stations went head to head SOHP on both modes.

My QSO rate started out strong.  It was too early for me to work many EU's at
the beginning, so I concentrated on North America.  The first three hours were:

This laid the foundation for a good total QSO count.

It was quiet both nights at this QTH but signals from EU were not very strong.
With so few EU contacts, my score kept looking dismally low.  I had a total of
only 93 EU QSO's for the whole event.

One highlight was working two VK's just before sunrise on Saturday morning.
This was only the second time I have gotten the VK multiplier on SSB in this
contest - and I never had worked more than one.  Very cool.

No exotic Middle East contacts this time around, like 7Z1SJ, 4Z4, etc.

As the evenings progressed, the West Coast was coming in okay, but not great.

I did complete the intra-family Worked All Briggs award, with QSOs with KK6ZM,
K2DM and VY2ZM.

Missed Wyoming, VE5, VE7, VO1 and VO2.  Never worked KH6.  Did not hear ZL2OK.

This year's event reminded me of an encounter in the same contest several years
ago.  I think it was Saturday night and I was in a race with N4PN (SK) operating
from the Death Star.  I was CQ'ing (is that a surprise?) low in the band and
getting answers from EU.  But a few kc below me was K1LZ with K3JO at the mic,
also calling CQ.  It was just close enough that I could not copy the EU's
calling me.  So I rolled down and said, "Hi, it's Peter, K3ZM.  Do you
think you could slide down just a tiny bit so I can copy these EU's?"
Velimir said, "Oh, I'm just fooling around.  I'll QSY."  He
disappeared and I had a fantastic EU run.  It turned out to be an act of grace
that led to my victory in the contest.  160 meters remains the Gentlemen's
Band.

Thanks for all the contacts and, again, congrats to K3JO.

73,

Peter K3ZM