[3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT K9ZO HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 04:20:36 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 0300Z Mar 19

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:
   80:   57
   40:   87
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  144  Mults = 121  Total Score = 17,424

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Fell asleep and missed the afternoon session!

It was a toss up deciding what band to start because both 40 and 80 were noisy
and signals did not seem strong.  Rain expected tomorrow.  Started on 40 which
turned out well with 22 QSOs in the first 7 minutes.  VE6JF was really loud.
Cranked it up to 40 WPM, then 42 WPM.  AH6KO called in even though there was no
real prop, but he is a good op so we worked anyway, hi hi.  Noticed a lot of 3
per minute, then a minute without a contact.  Poisson distribution usually tells
me the signal is not strong enough, but it might have been the QRN which
required some repeats and lots contacts. AB7MP was loud - seems like he had an
amp.  Guys who operate out of their call district make it difficult to get the
right RX antenna. KK7A was obviously in CT, but it took longer to work him.  At
0336 had 78 QSOs, so I must have stayed on 40 too long.  But I am pleased with
the results of raising the 40 inverted vee almost a month ago.  [Today I could
walk, but still have a painful foot.  That raising cost me almost a month in
bed!] K7RL was pounding in.

Changed to 80 at 0342Z.  A good run started, but lost a couple contacts when  I
wiggled the VFO knob and the frequency jumped 5 KC.  This will be the second
time I had to send in my Maestro to have the VFO replaced.  Mu remote tuning
knob has the same problem. QRN as on 40, but the SAL 30 helped as long as the
guy hung in there until I got the call.  57 QSOs in the last 18 minutes was a
good rush, but all together a lot of CQ and repeats due to QRN kept the score
down. Even worked DL1NKS on 40 & 80!