[3830] WPX CW AE0EE SOSB10 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AE0EE SOSB10 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 01:04:24 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOSB10 LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  54
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

50 W, 80/160 m dipole at 10 m, keyed entirely on a Vibroplex bug.

I had been hoping to make a big effort on this contest, taking a day off work to
head to the cabin to be set up and ready on Friday evening.  However, that plan
was quickly derailed.  My power supply was not able to keep up with 100 W
operation, so I had to dial down to only 50 W.  That is never a good start to a
world-wide contest when all your antennas are low dipoles.

Originally I was planning on an all-band entry, but after a first hour with 7
QSOs, it was clear that a major effort was not going to be very enjoyable.
Making things worse, I was distracted by the events happening back home in
Minneapolis, with the community reeling from yet another police killing of a
black man and looters raiding neighborhood businesses and setting them on fire.

With a good opening on 10 m Saturday, I decided to run with it, netting 19
contacts in about an hour before losing the frequency.  When 10 m closed, I
played around on the other bands, ending up with 197 QSOs and 135 WPX overall.
The bands must have been in pretty good shape, because there were lots of high
numbers out there, but with 50 W and very modest antennas, it was difficult to
be heard over the splatter of the adjacent kilowatts.  Thanks to everyone who
pulled me out of the noise!