[3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 21:25:03 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: KO9A
Operator(s): KO9A
Station: KO9A

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: EN52xc
Operating Time (hrs): 29
Radios: SO2R

    6:  604   174
    2:   75    30
  222:
  432:   17     6
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  696   210  Total Score = 149,730

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

...and I thought last year was pretty good!

Many thanks to K1JT, K9AN, G4WJS, and the entire WSJT dev team...this score just
doesn't happen without their tool suite and innovation.

Mode breakdown(includes dupes):
SSB:  336
FT8:  257
FT4:   95
CW:    20
MSK144: 8
FM:     4

W9 was blessed again this year with good conditions both days.  Lots of
interesting openings and stations available to work.

FT4 was great fun the final ~6 hours of the contest.  FT4 rates were as good or
better than what I can typically generate off of CW.  SSB is still rate king,
but FT4/FT8 dominate when conditions are iffy.  Hopefully more stations try and
stay on FT4 in CQ VHF.  For typical single hop sporadic E FT4 seemed far
superior than FT8 to me.

Had what I am calling an FT8 only opening to W3 Sunday afternoon where all
signals were < -10,many < -20.  Great fun to work those stations where no
other modes would make it.  By the end of the weekend I think all of FN20 was
worked, even down to the guys using paperclips for antennas!

Moving to SSB at the first sign of > +10 digital signals paid off again this
year as it was easy to tear off a 100-200 hr rate burst before getting chased
off frequency by high power stations.

Still trying to find the limits of what is possible with a puny station.  Sure
feels like 225-250 grids might be feasible on 6m...great fun trying to push the
envelope!

73 & hope to see you in CQ VHF!

Jim KO9A