[3830] ARRL June VHF KZ9O Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9mu@k9mu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KZ9O Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 20:00:22 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: KZ9O
Operator(s): K9MU KB9OWD
Station: KZ9O

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: EN46
Operating Time (hrs):

    6: 1031   215
    2:   33    18
  222:
  432:    3     2
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1067   235  Total Score = 251,450

Club:

Comments:

Ryan (KB9OWD) and I got our families together for a mini vacation at a lake home
in northern Wisconsin (EN46). I dragged up hundreds of pounds in radio gear from
home. I was able to get a new 432 yagi setup and upgraded two coax runs to
LMR-400 by Friday night before KB9OWD got up. The 6m yagi and 2m yagi were setup
from a previous operation on a rotor at 25 feet on the roof. I also put up an
extra 6m 4-element yagi at 30 feet that was rotated by hand. We stayed up late
until early Saturday morning assembling the dual IC-746s, FT-736r, 3cx800 amps,
computers, and consuming a few 807s. Other than some computer interfacing/audio
issues, setup went well.

On 6m, we ran FT8 until signals got loud and then switched to SSB for the runs.
We noticed it took a couple hours into the contest for people for find SSB
again. When the rate would slow to nothing, we jumped back on FT8 and mostly
snagged grid mults. KB9OWD and I are QSO rate junkies and we got our fix! We had
several times we worked 5 and 6 QSOs a minute. Our best hour rate Saturday
evening was 171 QSOs. It was slim pickings for any local 2m activity. Most of
our mults there came from meteor scatter. 432 was almost impossible as we had
miles of thick mature forests around us.

We were amazed to work over 1000 QSOs and 215 grids on 6m! It has been years
since I’ve had this much fun in a radio contest!

73,

Justin, K9MU

6m: Directive Systems 5 element @ 25 feet, homebrew 4 element @ 30 feet,
IC-746PRO to Henry 2006A @ 800w