[3830] All Asian SSB K5WA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] All Asian SSB K5WA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 16:42:09 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Radios: SO2R

   80:   19    13
   40:   61    59
   20:   27    22
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  107    70  Total Score = 8,610

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I don't think my BIC hours/QSO ratio has ever been higher!  Conditions were
great...except between Asia and SE Texas.  Seemed to be loaded with YB and DU
stations.  For me, the contest broke down to 20 hours of CQing, 20 hours of
repair projects around the shack and 8 hours of making a couple of Qs per hour.
I must be desperate for a few WRTC points.  ;-)

Most fun moment was when a U.S. caller (with no call of course) chimed in:
him: "Hey, You're off frequency!"
me: "How so?"
him: "Your between the lines at 156.70.  You're 300Hz off frequency!"
(I'm imagining he's using a 75A4 with that big VFO knob)
me: "Are you saying I'm not on the right channel?"
him: "Yes, you're way off!"
me: "*!@@!#^&*!" (very unprofessional)
him: no response and still no call
After about 15 seconds, I hear another voice from the same station say "He
meant you're distorted when we listen on 157 because you're off frequency"
You can't make this stuff up.  I just pushed the CQ button and shook my head.  I
sure would like to get my hands on his Elmer.  ;-)

Second most fun moment was when I first had a YC calling me and tried to log him
into N1MM.  N1MM did its best to save me from myself but I jammed the YC into my
log and took a break to check into the N1MM reflector to ask what setting I had
wrong.  It didn't take long before N1MM himself, Tom, responded "YB is
Oceania, not Asia".  Doah!  Now I know why I've never been accused of being
a geographic wizard!

Third most favorite moment was when the rate dropped below 1/hour and I decided
to play around in the CWops Open.  Heck, I'm a CWOps guy, that will be fun.  I
quickly shifted logs, spun the dial, and called an unsuspecting soul.  I gave
him my number and name.  He asked for a repeat on number.  OK, poor guy can't
copy, I guess.  A bit of a delay but he went on calling CQ.  I did this 4 more
times and each time I gave my number, same thing.  "NR?"  THEN, it
clicked!  The format for CWOpen is NOT membership number and name as in the
CWT...it is serial number and name.  This was about an hour and a half into that
session and I'm giving out 1280 (my membership number) as the serial number.
Doah, again!

So, there was fun to be had between chasing down Asians this weekend.  I wish
there had been more Asians available to keep my Homer Simpson senior moment
tendencies in check.

Still had fun at the station no mater what.   ;-)

Thanks for the Qs and 73,

Bob K5WA