[3830] RTTY Roundup W9KKN(@NW6P) SO(A) RTTY HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W9KKN(@NW6P) SO(A) RTTY HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 04:36:22 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2021

Call: W9KKN
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO(A) RTTY HP
QTH: California
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

   80:    286      0
   40:    472      0
   20:    822      0
   15:    419      0
   10:      1      0
-----------------------
Total:   2000      0  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 46  Total Score = 208,000

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Sorry it took me so long to write this 3830 post -- this has happened to me far
too often in the last year. Basically I put all of my energy into the contest, I
go to sleep afterwards, and then I find myself in a very busy work week where I
simply don't have time. Will try to be better about it. I kind of wish that I
could do 3830 in two swings, one to just get the raw score up, and the other to
post comments without needing manual intervention from Bruce.

I'd like to start by saying thanks to everyone in the NCCC that participated in
this one, it's looking like we had quite a turnout and this was a big success
for everyone involved. Thanks to Ed (W0YK) for giving us a great pep talk /
presentation, thanks to David (WD6T), Chris (N6WM), and several others for
several posts encouraging everyone to get on the air. Not only did we hit our 51
log minimum for the unlimited category, it looks like we smashed it. Obviously
the results aren't official yet, but it's looking like we pulled it off, and as
the VP/CC of the NCCC, I am quite proud of what everyone has done here. Also, as
always, thanks to Tom/NW6P for the hospitality and use of the station.

I always have a great time in this contest; it sets the tone for all of the
contests that will follow in the year -- and boy was I ready for 2020 to be over
with. I could have done this from ZF1A remotely (and there's a reasonable chance
I could have won the entire thing that way) but because there's no way for
DXexpedition efforts to count for club points and because we decided that this
was one of our focus contests in the NCCC, I made sure that I made my showing in
circle. It would be awesome to see that change some day because it would
encourage more DX to get on the air for such a fun contest.

I don't know what it is about RTTY contests at NW6P, but I have some serious
luck with them at this station. Hats off to N6WM and W6YX(N7MH) for such an
exciting race on the online scoreboard. Congratulations as always to WK6I@W7RN
and thanks to the team at K6MTU for putting that station on the air as ND2T. I
was being a bit obnoxious with the psychological warfare and turning up the
update interval to somewhere between 40-60 minutes, but this was quite a race.
NW6P is a great station an everything, but it's not supposed to be able to keep
up with N6RO and W6YX -- they have more towers, bigger antennas, elevation in
the case of Stanford, and of course a lower noise floor. For most of the
weekend, though, I was punching above my weight and topping the online
scoreboard -- and that felt really good. I knew that I was at a disadvantage for
DX mults and would be behind in those for most of the contest, but I tried, boy
did I try to make up for it in QSO volume. My only Q on 10m was W6YX who found
me very quickly over there. Beyond that, I wasn't even able to get spotted on
10m, but I knew that and had been trying all week -- the band wasn't going to
budge. I still have a bunch of analysis to do in order to describe exactly what
went down here with the bands, but it seems that compared to the other local
efforts, I

I set up the off times such that we could get Tom/NW6P on the air in the last 30
minutes, which ended up giving N6WM the fortune of the 3 mults that he needed to
finally get me (and of course, I deserved it given our friendly banter all
weekend.)

I was also happy to get an email from someone telling me that this was his first
ever RTTY contact -- that's awesome, and it's good to have people venturing over
from FT-x into RTTY. This is a fun mode that, if you set it up right, and
compete to the fullest extent can be every bit as enjoyable as any other contest
mode.

As we used to say in back in W9, "wait till next year!"

73, and see you in NAQP!

W9KKN