[3830] RTTY Roundup K6RO SO(A) Dig LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lashap@cox.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K6RO SO(A) Dig LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 17:02:58 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2021

Call: K6RO
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: K6RO

Class: SO(A) Dig LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:
   40:             17
   20:            170
   15:            105
   10:
-----------------------
Total:    0       292  State/Prov = 42  Countries = 10  Total Score = 15,184

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

After seeing that a few SCCC guys were going to do this contest,I decided to do
it only if I could get WSJT-X and N1MM to work together and provide dupe
checking and score keeping,as WSJT only outputs a cabrillo log.
In the past I had almost got these 2 programs to work together,but never 100%.
Don ,NK6A knew from a previous post of mine that I needed help with these 2
programs,and offered to help me via zoom. We connected,and it seemed that I was
only one check box away from making this happen. I logged a few q's to see if it
would work,and it seemed fine..but you never know until the contest starts.
My goal was 1000 q's ,and a full 24 hours in the chair.
Now it was Saturday at 1700z,an hour before the contest,and I loaded N1MM ..A
box popped up,and said there was a new version available,so I clicked on
it..since it knew I was hooked up to WSJT-X,it said to MAKE SURE I had the
latest version of WSJT..what the heck..so I looked for that,and saw that ver
2.2.2 was available,and downlaaded it..all seemed fine....but not really..
I started the contest at 1800z,and it took 3-4 minutes to get used to WSJT doing
all the logging through N1MM...I never had to touch N1MM,as it was
automatic...this was so cool ! Just like it was supposed to work..
About 5 minutes in,a box popped up saying that there was a port error ,and to
restart N1MM..I tried a few times to do that,and it would not work. I then
restarted WSJT,then N1MM and tried that..still nothing. Now the only way this
was going to restart was to reboot the computer and start over..
This worked I thought,but then the same problem happened again..
So now I am about 45 minutes into trying to make these 2 wonderful programs
happy together,but it was not to be. I was running FT4 ,and it didn't like
that.
WSJT ver 2.2.2 crashed about 25 times running FT4..I have no idea how many guys
didn't log me,as I was restarting the program while they were sending me a
report.
After the contest,I looked on 3830 to read what others had to say..I read about
20 summaries ,and at least 6 guys had the same issues with crashing,and other
bugs between the 2 programs. Many guys were frustrated.
I told one friend about the crash issues,and he said to install version 2.3 ..so
I did..seems to work fine in regular use,but won't really know until the next
digital contest.
WSJT really needs to build in dupe checking and scoring ,as it should be easy
for just 2 contests.
I decided to keep plugging away doing the contest with just WSJT-X and no dupe
checking..but now I had to just CQ without S and P ,as I didn't want to dupe
guys.
I changed my goal from 1000 q's to 300,as this was no way to do a contest.
I spent 8-10 hours in the shack,rather than 24,but that was ok.
After the contest I had a mess,with one WSJT cabrillo log,and 2 seperate N1MM
logs, and no mult checking or dupes..so today..a week later,I finally tried to
make a log that the ARRL would like. Pretty much like a paper log.
I uploaded it,and it took it,but said I was missing the mode.
I love contesting,but not software issues...
N1MM works great for cw and ssb contests,but not a good way to go for digital.
Thanks for the q's,and see you in the next one,
Larry K6RO

K3S
JK Navassa 2 elements on 15 and 20m @ 41 feet.
60m dipole with a tuner for 40m until I get my dipole fixed.
N1MM
WSJT-X