[3830] NAQP CW WF4W Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rj.wf4w@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW WF4W Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 15:14:08 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: WF4W
Operator(s): WF4W
Station: WF4W

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM74
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:   29    16
   80:  205    43
   40:  168    40
   20:   92    38
   15:   19     9
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  513   146  Total Score = 74,898

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC#2

Comments:

Count get more than my usual 8 hours due to other committments but I did the
best I could. I thought conditions were good - i didnt feel like i was running
LP and could still hear and be heard.

Given I'll never be a contender I compete against myself to beat previous scores
and improve Q-rates. This was my best NAQP CW in the 4 years I've participated.
My goal in the contest was to maintain a rate of more than 1 Q per minute - I
was able to do that despite dismal rates at the onset on 20/15 - I really need a
solution as the vertical jsut ain't cuttin it on those bands.

I was able to achieve some decent runs - when i gave up on 20 & 15 and moved
to 40, my first run was 79 Q's in 42 minutes (110.8/hr) Not too bad for 100w and
a vetical! For all my runs my average was 108.28 Q's / hr. I think there is room
for tweaks - too many repeats needed on my name 'Ric' - next time I'll use
something easier.

Multipliers were fun to chase and seemed to be in abundance. I worked ZF on
160/80/20/15. One thing 100w & a vertical doesnt do well is break pileups so
I tried to use all the tools the 7610 has to offer - I look for pileups using
the bandscope assuming those are rares multis. I then add that freq to VFO-B and
use dual-watch to keep an eye on it for my opportunity to work em. It seemed to
work out pretty well but most of my multis called ME while running which was
nice! Yes, all these strategies are known to the seasoned contester but for
someone relatively new to the game, discovering ways to maximize our limited
time or stations is fun!

This 6BTV vertical never fails to perform - I feel like there's just something
in my soil that makes this thing a superb domestic performer especially on 40/80
- no, it's not stacked yagis on a 100ft tower but it works and keeps my wife
& neighbors happy!

My 160m OCF continues to perform poorly on 160m :)

Lots of fun!

RJ, WF4W